Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 570 is my first Polaris. Q, I think that I read in the owners manual that if you put the machine in low range and switch on the AWD the front wheels are in constant 4WD. My salesman said no, they are AWD mode not 4WD. IE: when in low and AWD, the front wheels will only drive when the rears slip. Can someone clarify this for me?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Your dealer is correct. Just pull up youtube videos and watch them as they demonstrate the Polaris AWD system; arguably the best AWD system in the atv/utv market. There is no need to have a machine in 4x4 constantly, so once the rears slip (use to be 1/5th rotation but now it seems much less then that) the fronts will engage, all transparent to you!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that little owners manual is only clear about safety, not really clear on technical things.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
dont put it in AWD when rear wheels spinning....just put it on when your ready to drive and it will work when needed...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick story from green Polaris owner:

Had my brand new Red 570 for a week. Took it to work to rub it in. It so happened that I backed my truck to a small hill. When I loaded it I decided to back it up the ramp. No problem, the back tires slipped a little when they left the ramp but I leaned back to put a little weight on them and it went right in.

Well on Saturday I decided to go get dirty. This time when attempting to back up the ramp I put it in AWD so those front tires would assist when the back ones slipped on the metal bed of the truck. I was in my driveway and no little hill to make the ramp slope less steep. Well when the back tires slipped on the bed of the truck the front tires did what the were supposed to do, the pushed me up the ramp, but my back tires were not in the middle of the bed any more and the 570 backed right up the side of the truck bed and was proceeding to drive right off the side. My butt was up the ramp, my head was down the ramp and I could not let go of the throttle so off it went!!

So much for having a brand new shiny quad:chairfall::motz:

moral to the story?? Don't be stupid!

·
Premium Member
12,406 Posts
My new 570 is my first Polaris. Q, I think that I read in the owners manual that if you put the machine in low range and switch on the AWD the front wheels are in constant 4WD. My salesman said no, they are AWD mode not 4WD. IE: when in low and AWD, the front wheels will only drive when the rears slip. Can someone clarify this for me?
It never a locked 4x4 system. 1/5 front to rear wheel difference in rotation and the 4 wheel drive activates, H or L.

·
Premium Member
12,406 Posts
Quick story from green Polaris owner:

Had my brand new Red 570 for a week. Took it to work to rub it in. It so happened that I backed my truck to a small hill. When I loaded it I decided to back it up the ramp. No problem, the back tires slipped a little when they left the ramp but I leaned back to put a little weight on them and it went right in.

Well on Saturday I decided to go get dirty. This time when attempting to back up the ramp I put it in AWD so those front tires would assist when the back ones slipped on the metal bed of the truck. I was in my driveway and no little hill to make the ramp slope less steep. Well when the back tires slipped on the bed of the truck the front tires did what the were supposed to do, the pushed me up the ramp, but my back tires were not in the middle of the bed any more and the 570 backed right up the side of the truck bed and was proceeding to drive right off the side. My butt was up the ramp, my head was down the ramp and I could not let go of the throttle so off it went!!

So much for having a brand new shiny quad:chairfall::motz:

moral to the story?? Don't be stupid!
Brother that sux what happened. Sounds like u didn't get hurt. Lesson learned. Riding a quad up ramps backward isn't the best of ideas. Quads work so much better going forward.

·
Premium Member
12,406 Posts
dont put it in AWD when rear wheels spinning....just put it on when your ready to drive and it will work when needed...
+1

Although I don't believe the AWD will activate until the rears stop spinning.
I never engaged my 4x4 while the rears were spinning but the manual says not to and my guess is the fronts would bang in and that wouldn't b good for the drive-line.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sucks to hear about the quad. I always put it in low, awd and drive slowly up going forward. It's still a little sketchy when the ramps move a little bit. Glad your good to go though.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes if you engage it while spinning you take a chance of it blowing the bearing cage...been done before...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have rode my Rancher hard and tumbled more than once. I learned to get out of the way.
The worst that happened to my 570 was the hinges snapped off the trunk lid. Those things are pretty wimpy but maybe that way to protect more expensive parts. I used some epoxy, don't know how long it will last.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
how does it know when the rears slip?
It doesn't "know" per se since it is mostly a mechanical engagement; requiring only power to index the roll cage. When you select 4x4 or 4x4 ADC below 3.1k RPMs, the computer will apply power to the mag coil in the front diff and the system is then keyed to operate in AWD as soon as the rear tires are "overrunning" the front tires. "overrunning" means they are spinning faster then the fronts are per revolution.

AWD Engagement: When the AWD switch is activated, the AWD coil is powered by a 12 Vdc input which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field attracts an armature plate that is keyed to the roll cage. When the ring gear and roll cage are spinning (vehicle is moving), the energized coil and armature plate will apply drag to the roll cage that indexes the rollers inside the ring gear to an engagement position. While in the engagement position, the front drive will be in an “overrunning” condition (not engaged), until the rear wheels lose traction. Once the rear wheels begin to lose traction, the front drive will engage by coupling the output hubs to the ring gear via the rollers. The front drive will remain engaged until the torque requirement goes away (i.e. rear wheels regain traction).

You can always leave the bike in 4x4 mode and have no issues unless you're sure you won't need it at all for the trail you're riding on. Since I tend to be riding fast and on loose dirt and gravel/desert trails I leave mine in 4x4 all the time cause I never want that one time "I need and not have it" to occur.

I have rode my Rancher hard and tumbled more than once. I learned to get out of the way.
The worst that happened to my 570 was the hinges snapped off the trunk lid. Those things are pretty wimpy but maybe that way to protect more expensive parts. I used some epoxy, don't know how long it will last.
If your ramps don't have straps on them to anchor to the truck/hitch, I highly recommend you invest in some. Or just use a ratchet strap on each one.

Atleast you're ok AND you got to test out the 4x4 system!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
+1

If the bike is below 3.1k RPMs, the AWD system will activate. If the rears are spinning at that point then yes the AWD system will engage and the front diff and drive train will take a significant shock; especially if this occurs in HIGH gear.

+1

I never engaged my 4x4 while the rears were spinning but the manual says not to and my guess is the fronts would bang in and that wouldn't b good for the drive-line.
I have done this at slow speed with my bike jacked up on all 4 corners with the tires removed. Part of my testing during servicing everything. The manual is spot on, don't hit that switch if the rears are spinning, just come to a complete stop; then hit the switch - wait for the 4x4 icon to appear and then give her hell!:cowboy:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Wow, great explanation how the AWD works. Thanks

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.
Lets all have a fun safe riding season this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts