Polaris ATV Forum banner

Low voltage when starting

18K views 55 replies 9 participants last post by  CraptorMan 
#1 ·
Hello everyone i have a question, my battery is 13.1V at full charge AND IT IS BRAND NEW. but when i try to start my atv, it dropped at 4V and it's turning too slow to start. When i stop it come back to 13v... When i boost my battery everything is starting fine. While it is running my battery is at 14.2v. I changed my starter cause i thought it was bad but it changed nothing... my charging system seems to be in good shape seen that it is going up at 14.2V while running... Even if I charge my battery all night long and it is new it's doing the same thing all the time...Someone can help me please? Thanks in advance

#2 ·
So the voltage drop is due to the draw on the battery when trying to start and over come the inertia of the motor. Now when you boost it the engine spins fast enough to start. So two things jump out, 1: your new battery isn't up to the task or 2: you need a valve adjustment.

What yr and model we working on??

How many miles and hours on it??

#5 ·
Yeah its possible but it sounds like you changed the starter and its fairly new???

#9 ·
Well, the battery should be under warranty and within 90 days would be a free replacement - the seller might want to put a charge on it and load test it, but if it starts normally with a jump pack or whatever, you are in effect connecting a different battery - how well does it start when you disconnect the battery and just connect to the jumper cables?

#12 ·
hey bud what type of battery are you buying??

#15 ·
ok so that looks like a decent battery and its AGM. going off the fact you have a new battery and a new starter im thinking you may have a bad solenoid. that's were some of the extra draw is coming from is a bad contact when the solenoid pulls in. you can either buy a new solenoid from RMStator (Canadian company) or test the one you have.

what you should really do is go through the starting system connections and clean them all up!!!! that's what I would do first.

#17 ·
ok sounds good!!

#19 ·
I would disconnect the battery/starter cables. then run a resistance test between the terminals. the key needs to be in the start position to pull the solenoid in. there should be little to no ohms read between the meter leads.

#22 ·
I was looking for something less but that's acceptable. you said you cleaned all the connections?? Yeah its starting to look like the battery or starter are bad. so next step would to fully charge the battery and have it load tested. eliminate the battery as the problem. then I would try to bump the starter directly off the battery.

#24 ·
That there isn't anything in the solenoid creating a large draw. I know in motor contacts that when they get dirty/carbon filled they draw more and more to close the circuit. Honestly just going a little test crazy so your not throwing parts at it. new parts after new parts for that matter. listen if its not the battery, solenoid, or the starter then it sounds like something to do with the motor. at that point its a valve adjustment hopefully.

#26 ·
just jump the solenoid with a screw driver. put the screw driver across the battery and starter terminals.