Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Sportsman 570 x2 EPS
Have charging issues, First replaced battery , than rectifier, than stator. Battery stays at 11.7v when I turn on winch or hand warmers it drops but goes right back up to 11.7v No issues starting but the cooling fan comes on even when its still cold and drops to 10.9v fan goes off and right back to 11.7v. If I use any thing else at time of fan on it wants to die. Dash tells me LO 10.9 until fan goes off than everything works fine. This ATV only has 400 miles looks brand new. My best guess is when all the bells and whistles were installed something shorted out. My question is do I now have to replace the ECM or is there away to test it. Before I replaced these parts the battery would drop and not come back up. So I am trying to convince my self that I didnt waste $400 on parts. I just bought this ATV.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Try eliminating some of the “bells and whistles”. Then test for function stator and regulator. Check all connections. Wouldn’t hurt to load test battery also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did load test on battery, tested good, holds charge at 12.5v Stator is 13.9v at idle didnt rev and check not enough hands, my concern is fan comes on early, its 35 degrees out, start ATV and fan comes on in 5-7in
bells an whistles are just thumb warmers, grip warmer and winch and hydraulic plow

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Check the stator wires for damage from rubbing the frame.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
He’s talking about Stator cable that runs under motor. Many rub and short out there. A good idea to check. I’d re-route also.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Most low voltage problems stem from not running the engine above the break even point of the charging system - the charging system operates at a loss until above about 2500 rpm - the break even point is raised with accessories; the charging system has to generate enough voltage and amperage to supply the accessories before it can begin to charge the battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stator wires are new.
Disconnected accesories.
Connected a different battery.
Same results drops from 12.6 to 11.8 and stays even with RPM increased. Turn engine off and battery slowly increases to 12.6 again
Checked new stator again 13.8 at idle and greatly increases with RPM

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think you have a bad stator - the stator produces AC voltage and should be as high as 100 volts at 5000 rpm - you need AC voltage above 30 volts to charge a 12v battery - the AC is converted to DC which cuts it in half and the battery needs DC voltage above 13.5 volts to charge, but is limited to a maximum of 14.8 volts by the regulator.

The stator needs to be tested two ways - with no load and under load - no load is with the stator charge coil wires disconnected from the rec/reg (open circuit) - I have a three wire T-tap that I made to connect the two components and provide test points - first check the AC output of any 2 of the yellow wires (3 combinations possible) with the rec/reg disconnected - AC can be as low as 9 volts at idle and near 100 at 5000 rpm, but as most operation is at about 3000 to 4000 rpm, it is best to make readings in that range. Now connect the rec/reg and check the AC output - if it never gets above 30 volts, it's bad - if it only gets to 30 volts at 4000 rpm, it's bad - typically it will be about 30 to 45 volts at 2500 rpm and anything above that is bonus - with all accessories in use, it must remain above 30 volts at 2500 rpm.

Battery voltage rising when disconnected from the draw is normal the same as battery voltage decreasing when removed from charging - a battery needs to be off charge for 4 hours before checking voltage or load testing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i unplugged stator and check all 3 and got 13.9 at idle on each increased RPM and voltage increased greatly, reconnected stator to Reg. and disconnected at terminal block, I am only getting 5.6v after reg so I connected the original Reg and I am only getting 1.01v. I am now going to double check my results to reconfirm but I am starting to think that the original Regulator was bad and the new $150 regulator is also bad.If so is there something that would cause this? Or is this just dumb luck?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked again stator 13.9v at idle 40+ with rpm increased (no rpm gauge) at all 3 wires,
The black and red from New Regulator this time only recieved 2.2v i reconnected the old regulator again and once again only recieved 1.02v
So if I am reading this correctly both regulators i have are bad

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I checked again stator 13.9v at idle 40+ with rpm increased (no rpm gauge) at all 3 wires,
The black and red from New Regulator this time only recieved 2.2v i reconnected the old regulator again and once again only recieved 1.02v
So if I am reading this correctly both regulators i have are bad
Also as RPM is increased the regulator does not change

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a quad boss brand. So on forward and reverse test 1 direction should get a reading correct? Old one tests on positive gets .51 but everything else tests nothing. going to test new reg now

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
So how much AC voltage do you read with the rec/reg plugged in - at this point I could care less what voltage you have on the red wire - it is meaningless unless the red wire is connected to the battery - HOW MUCH VOLTAGE DO YOU HAVE AT 3000 RPM ON THE YELLOW WIRES WITH THE REC/REG PLUGGED IN AND CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts