Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I'm trying to help you and you are not following the instructions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
if I reconnect everything i would have to take a pin and probe wire through insulation. Is that what your asking? Because this is a brand new stator and wires are undamaged

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Yes - it may be new, but that doesn't mean it's good and it's also possible there is a problem with the flywheel magnets - if you get 40 volts unplugged and get 5 volts plugged in, then the problem is on the AC side - figure out what is wrong with the generator (alternator) - there are DC generators and AC generators - AC generators are commonly referred to as alternators, but they are actually Alternating Current generators. I have a degree in electronics, but have to 'dumb it up' when working with line mechanics. It's why I described having a T-tap adapter to plug into the stator and rec/reg - so tests can be made as easily as possible. I have T-tap adapters for flat terminals and round terminals and in different diameters for Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas etc and various Chinese machines and one universal adapter that I change terminals on as needed (wires get shorter each time I change it)

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
You can also use pins to back probe the connector

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
On certain Honda's where the ignition trigger is on the camshaft, I have seen flywheels installed improperly and slipping on the crankshaft - at low speed they are fine, but at high speed they almost quit spinning and charging all but ceases.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Yep - that's fine - the stator is probably shorted between the wires on the coils - with a accurate ohm meter you might be able to detect it - if you use a Hi-Pot generator on it and the coils smoke, it's due to an insulation failure of the magnet wire used to wind the coils with. Normal resistance is .2 ohms so you need a very sensitive ohmmeter.

Her's the page from the service manual, but it does not include the closed circuit test - I wanted you to do the test's before publishing this page as it is not complete from the electrical technicians point of view.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Test 1 Resistance on all 3 legs tests the same .4 on my cheap multi meter also old statot tests the exact same
Test 2 passed
Test 3 Passed

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Test 4 (not in the service manual) AC voltage under load - FAILED

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm going to return stator and get another. I did a bench test on both regs and both fail as far as I can tell. Could the bad stator ruin the reg? Or give me a bad load test on stator? Trying to find a new reg. Dont want to spend another $250 on OEM and dont want to buy the $50 on Ebay. Trying to find a used one just haven't found one that fits yet

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I'm going to return stator and get another. I did a bench test on both regs and both fail as far as I can tell. Could the bad stator ruin the reg? Or give me a bad load test on stator? Trying to find a new reg. Dont want to spend another $250 on OEM and dont want to buy the $50 on Ebay. Trying to find a used one just haven't found one that fits yet
No - a faulty reg/reg will not cause a stator to fail unless all the diodes in the rectifier short out - in that case the stator will produce maximum current constantly and with 20 minutes of running it may overheat and burn out - if the stator fails from overheating, the enamel on the copper wire will be very dark and blistered, but the Chinese stators have a high rate of defective out of the box incidents - I use Rick's rec/reg's and stators (even though they are made in China) - they have a warranty and to date, I have only had one bad out of the box and it was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
This stator is a Ricks stator. I am going to get a better connection and do load test on stator again before I tear it out and return it.
CycleWorx wants $300 for VR and cant find 1 from Ricks. I see on ebay used ones for $80 but want to be done with this issue. Or OEM for $250. Anyone find a better price for a quality VR?
2015 Sportsman 570 X2 EPS

Also Thank You for the help! Greatly Appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
This stator is a Ricks stator. I am going to get a better connection and do load test on stator again before I tear it out and return it.
CycleWorx wants $300 for VR and cant find 1 from Ricks. I see on ebay used ones for $80 but want to be done with this issue. Or OEM for $250. Anyone find a better price for a quality VR?
2015 Sportsman 570 X2 EPS

Also Thank You for the help! Greatly Appreciated!
Why can’t you find one? Right here. I’ve had one on each bike for over 1 1/2 years. Thought I had an issue earlier this year but it wasn’t VR problem. Is it a RicksMotorSportElectrics VR you have or that other brand “Ricky’s”? I know Rick from RMSE and he’s a stand up guy that would warranty it. Hers the link:After Market Motorsport Parts from Rick's Motorsport Electrics

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
This is the stator I purchased and will return and exchange. I am searching for a VR at a decent price. Dont want to spend $300 or $50 on a ebay special. I have a used parts guy near me and maybe get a used 1 from him.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts