Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Ladies and Gents... I finally got my first casualty on my 2012 850 :(
We were coming out of a thick forested trail late last night and I caught a pretty gnarly rut and it completely caved in my lower left A-Arm. Triple checked everything and no other damage was done thank goodness. Here's my question...

how hard is it to replace this part? I have a mechanical background and it looks pretty straight forward but is there anything I should know about first? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
no just 3 bolts 2 at the frame and 1 on the ball joint

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
just curious if you think that A arm guards would have given you enough strength to have helped out?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just curious if you think that A arm guards would have given you enough strength to have helped out?
Great question! For this particular situation, possibly. Can't be 100% sure though. I should've taken a pic of it before leaving for work this morning. Surely would've helped but it's such a sharp angle into the arm that whatever I did hit had a very acute angle.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
back in august I wrecked my 850 hit a hidden little stump at around 30, my a-arm guard is probably only reason the whole a-arm did not brake, and it held it together good enough to drive home.

also I really like state line customs wide arc a-arms

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Take the tire off. Take the 2 bolts loose at the frame and the other at the ball joint. Remove the bent A Arm and put the new one on. Should not take more that 30-45 minutes to do it if it isn't in a bind from being bent. Very easy to do.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
going to have to swap out the ball joint and your bushings as well. might as well replace the ball joint with new

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Went on a poker run last fall and a buddy of mine hit a 6" diameter stump and ripped the welds apart on his a-arm. I hit it also and all it did was bend my richochet gaurd. He was riding in another group so I don't know how fast he was going and I didn't get if he saw it or not. Guards are worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
110 Posts
did you ever get a picture of it? just curious
PICTURES OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
This may go without saying but I'll say it anyway. Use a torque wrench and torque to the right specs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used to use metal A arm guards. A friend hit a stump and this A arm did just fine but the stress on the frame was not good. I would rather replace an A arm than fix a frame that was torn from an impact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts