Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Sportsman 500, the clamp on the left lower (rear) boot break. Have tried to disassemble with no luck. Tried pulling and striking with a mallet, no luck.

Everything appears to be in good order and pretty clean. Is it possible to simply clean the joint and boot thoroughly and then simply replace the clamp.

Thanks
Papaski

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CV boot

Only the clamp is broken. Tried to remove the bearings and wheel with no success. Second look appears that the area could be cleaned, re-greased and a new clamp.

The drive end is now loose. Not certain if that is a result of loosing the axle or while pulling on it broke it loose on the upper end. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help,

Marty

·
Registered
772 Posts
the only thing I can think of is dirt may have gotten in there. But if you dont think dirt and water got in there you could just replace the clamp. Re-grease if you think you lost allot of grease. Best thing to do is take it apart clean, regrease.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If it's anything like my Hawkeye's axle only one side comes off. In my case the inner boot tore, and I had to remove the outer boot. Disconnect the joint by driving it off with a brass punch then work on the inner boot. than reassemble the outer boot. I did a write up on it when I did it. you should be able to find it if you search for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts