Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided it was a good day to grease the chassis of my 2013 Sportsman 550 with Polaris' grease. I found four zerk fittings each side for the front upper and lower A-arms and five zerk fittings per side for the rears. The rears were not too bad but the upper A-arms for the front were a bitch to get to as I could barely get my hands in there from under neath. After struggling and hands cramping up I finally got those boogers done. Anybody have a trick to accessing the upper A-arm grease fittings easier than I found? I tried a 90º angle adapter but to no avail and just went with the standard end of my flex hose. Also, I wanted to grease the u-joints with Polaris u-joint grease but I did not find any zerk fittings on either the front or rear drive shaft. Are the u-joints for the 2013 Polaris 550 not meant to be greased? Is there access to installing a zerk fitting for the u-joints or not?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
did you pull the wheels...if not doing so makes it a bit easier...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't but maybe next time I will but not sure it will do any good for the upper A-arms because zerk fitting for the uppers point towards the opposite wheel. Maybe I should consider replacing the stock zerks for angled ones. That might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
What are you using for a grease gun?

This adapter with a flexible grease line helps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a mini pistol grease gun with a flex hose.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's easier to reach the upper front A-arm zerks from the opposite side. Takes a little bit of searching, but once you figure out how to route the flex hose through to the other side it's pretty easy. As long as your flex hose is long enough it's no biggie.

And obviously, it's a lot easier to do if the quad is clean. I normally try to dive off into a river after a ride to get most of the gunk out, then spray down with a hose when I get home. It's a lot easier to spray down in the back of the truck, that's for sure. Keeps you from crawling around on the ground trying to get every spot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's easier to reach the upper front A-arm zerks from the opposite side. Takes a little bit of searching, but once you figure out how to route the flex hose through to the other side it's pretty easy. As long as your flex hose is long enough it's no biggie.

And obviously, it's a lot easier to do if the quad is clean. I normally try to dive off into a river after a ride to get most of the gunk out, then spray down with a hose when I get home. It's a lot easier to spray down in the back of the truck, that's for sure. Keeps you from crawling around on the ground trying to get every spot.
For the front upper A-arms situated in the rear that is exactly what I did. For the ones in the front I came up from underneath from the opposite side. My hands could barely squeeze in there.

·
Registered
450 Posts

For the front upper A-arms situated in the rear that is exactly what I did. For the ones in the front I came up from underneath from the opposite side. My hands could barely squeeze in there.

I've always worked from the side I'm greasing on the rears, never had an issue getting to them, reach in-between the front of the rear tire and the body plastic. But there might be more room in there on mine since it's a Touring?

As far as the fronts, I just reach straight through from one side to the other, kind move the flex line around in a small circle until I feel the "click" and then start pumping.

It'll get easier to get the grease fitting on the zerks after the teeth on the inside of the nozzle loosen up a bit with use. And you'll figure out your own way that makes it easier with time too. My first time greasing I was scratching my head and cussing a lot. Now, having done it a few dozen times it's only about a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I do fine until I get to that last $&@$?! Zerk! Wheels off is so much easier. I have a good powerful electric impact that can zip the tires off in 30 seconds and saves me 30 minutes and a lot of time in confession and anger management classes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think I read in the owners manual that it is not necessary to lube the front upper A arms but you could grease them if you want. I lube the front uppers from the other side of the quad. I can only get to the forward uppers if I remove the wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts