Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I missed something, I haven't had to lube yet but just getting use to machine it's a 2017 Polaris Sportsman Sage Green 450 with a 500cc engine AWD.

I found 2 fittings in the front and 6 on the rear have I missed anything?
My manual shows a fitting in the front drive shaft but have been unable to locate.:dunno:

Thanks for any info I plan to do my own routine maintenance for example Oil and Fluid Change just purchased K&N Air filter.:shakehands:

I don't plan to submerge I bought this machine basically for hunting September to January and a little trail riding just to keep the fluids circulating.:yup:

I watch a lot of You Tube to help with my maintenance schedule.:cool:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think You got them all except for the one on your prop shaft.. It's kinda hard to see and get at with the floor board on.. If sitting on the machine It's on the right side.. You'll need a flexible grease gun hose to get at it and might have to roll the machine a bit to turn the shaft until the zerk is exposed..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the one I was looking for pg 102

I'll look for it tomorrow thanks.:shakehands:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
That's the one I was looking for pg 102

I'll look for it tomorrow thanks.:shakehands:
I'd suggest you jack up the rear end and put it in neutral and rotate a tire until you see the fitting. Much easier than trying to roll it and watch for the zerk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think You got them all except for the one on your prop shaft.. It's kinda hard to see and get at with the floor board on.. If sitting on the machine It's on the right side.. You'll need a flexible grease gun hose to get at it and might have to roll the machine a bit to turn the shaft until the zerk is exposed..

Found it:beer: Right below the dip stick:rock_dj:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would go ahead and add grease to all 9 Zerk Fittings. I have a 2017 Sportsman 570 EPS and 2017 Sportsman 450 H.O. Both bikes only have about 2 miles on them. I did a complete inspection and tighten every bolt and screw. I also fill up all the Zerk Fittings with new grease (I used 'Green Grease - Synthetic'). The 2 Zerk's up front took about 12 pumps before the oem grease (Purple in Color) started oozing out, the 6 Zerk's in the rear took about 10 pump from my Mini Grease Gun. The 1 Zerk on the Prop Shaft I only added 4 pumps.

Isn't the dealership supposed to grease up these bikes as part of their inspection, which they add to the cost of buying? Or is filling all the Zerk Fittings with grease only done from the manufacturer?

I did notice that every Zerk Fitting had some oem grease on them. Looks like someone filled it, just not fully.

Bikes were manufactured on Jan 21st 2017 and I bought them on Feb 28th 2017 and with only 0.6 miles. So only a month old but definitely not full of grease!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did mine tonight, 2018 570. I put 3 hours on it and the front end was squeaking nonstop, the 6 in the back and 2 in the front all took at least 8 pumps each. Threw 3 in the propshaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I might be way off here but I have a 2016 850 and there's like 19 total grease points. There may even be more. It definitely sounds like you guys are missing some.

Edit. Ya I know we're talking about different machines here ect. But Ya there are 19 on my 850. I can't imagine there being that many less on a 570.

I have 8 in the front, 10 in back and the prop shaft.

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts
I might be way off here but I have a 2016 850 and there's like 19 total grease points. There may even be more. It definitely sounds like you guys are missing some.

Edit. Ya I know we're talking about different machines here ect. But Ya there are 19 on my 850. I can't imagine there being that many less on a 570.

I have 8 in the front, 10 in back and the prop shaft.
Yup your way off :nzd:. The thread was in regards to the VL chassis and you have the XP chassis. But youre correct the XP chassis has a lot of grease points.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's just crazy bc I'm looking at the design for the wheel carrier in the rear of the 570.... apparently there's no way to lube the joints where the a arms connect except for just taking it apart and manually greasing them, which should probably be routine maintenance to do that.

The 850 has zerk fittings on those 2 points on both sides. They're damn near impossible to get to but they're there. This is all fresh on my mind bc I literally just did this like an hr ago. Just frustrating.

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts
The funny thing is the VL chassis of yesteryear had a ton more lube points. All but 9 remain. I have actually added some to my machine. I know it's a PIA for you guys with the XP chassis but I'd personally prefer all the lube points. For what it's worth a grease gun with a flexible hose will help to get those more difficult zerks. They are tips for the grease gun that are a great tool to have as well. Finally some guys have actually changed the factory straight zerks to 45's and 90's to aid in the greasing process.

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts

This is a nice kit that comes with the flexible hose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The lower point on the rear wheel carrier is literally blocked by a piece of metal from the a arm so no amount of zerk gun trickery would get you in there. I just started taking stuff apart until I could access it. Way easier to remove a couple bolts than to bang my head off the wall. But ya I have a flexible hose ect. I do know I need a tip that has a quick connect snap on feature. Mine you have to manually tighten. ... I got it under control tho. I've done a boat load of mods ect to this thing lately, I know this machine like the back of my hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good idea on Zerks

The funny thing is the VL chassis of yesteryear had a ton more lube points. All but 9 remain. I have actually added some to my machine. I know it's a PIA for you guys with the XP chassis but I'd personally prefer all the lube points. For what it's worth a grease gun with a flexible hose will help to get those more difficult zerks. They are tips for the grease gun that are a great tool to have as well. Finally some guys have actually changed the factory straight zerks to 45's and 90's to aid in the greasing process.
You know, that's a pretty good idea on changing the factory straight zerks to 45s and/or 90s. Makes sense to me.

I'm new to ATVs, just bought a 2011 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS. I haven't lubed anything (yet), but have gone through, located the zerks and cleaned them off, in prep. I've found 6 zerks on the front end, 8 zerks in the rear end, and am aware there's one on the back end of the front propshaft. I can see that at least 2 zerks in the rear are going to be near impossible to access, unless I jack the frame up so I can release pressure on the wheels/tires, and get them to drop down a bit. That's probably where it would be good to replace with 90s.

For those that own the same ATV type...did I miss any lube points?

·
Registered
98 Posts
You know, that's a pretty good idea on changing the factory straight zerks to 45s and/or 90s. Makes sense to me.

I'm new to ATVs, just bought a 2011 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS. I haven't lubed anything (yet), but have gone through, located the zerks and cleaned them off, in prep. I've found 6 zerks on the front end, 8 zerks in the rear end, and am aware there's one on the back end of the front propshaft. I can see that at least 2 zerks in the rear are going to be near impossible to access, unless I jack the frame up so I can release pressure on the wheels/tires, and get them to drop down a bit. That's probably where it would be good to replace with 90s.

I have a 2014 550 Touring,there are 10 zerks in the rear and 8 in the front so you probably missed a few.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have a 2014 550 Touring,there are 10 zerks in the rear and 8 in the front so you probably missed a few.
Yep, thanks for the advice. After your post I went back and found all of them (10 rear, 8 front).

Much appreciated. And for future readers...yes, I know about the zerk located ON the front prop shaft...but apparently located at the REAR portion of that shaft. Again, thanks to all previous posters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts