Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do my first service and looking for tips on the grease fittings. I have a small grease gun, with a fixed metal tip. I've seen comments in other discussions about a side slide on tip and a flexible hose working better. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well maybe its ezr on a scramy

but my sportys have some of the zerks in odd areas and/or angles, it would be impossible to get to some of them without a nice long flexible hose. The front u-joints going to the front drive seem to be different than the others, perhaps take a special fitting, anyone know what to do there? wipe em clean then 1-3 slow, ez pumps while listening for any 'splurt' (as it starts to come out somewhere Stop) and watching for any squeezing out-Stop there and wipe any excess off. Done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
best way to grease a machine is to take the tires off....that way you can grease and get visuals of other stuff that may need attention....I jack all corners up....put jack stands under it...remove all 4 tires...grease..inspect wires..check loose nuts and bolts...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
A fixed tip won't allow access to many of the zerks. You'll want to find a flexable extension at a local parts store or tractor/fleet supply type store.

As for grease flavor... I'm a fan of Mobil products, so I use the Mobil 1 red - multi purpose chasis grease, on everything that has a zerk (quads, daily drivers, snow blower, lawn mower... you name it).

Greasing Tips:

1) Before putting the grease gun tip to the zerk... I wipe it off with a clean rag. As you don't want that dirt getting pushed into the bearings/bushings. I also wipe off any excess grease after greasing.... so it has less of a dirt magnet to stick too! :fing02:

2) As stated.... Removing the tires is also very helpful, if you have a sturdy - quality stand / atv jack to raise the quad. It also allows for better inspection of the CV boots, brakes and everything else! :fing02:

3) If you have the coin.... a battery powered grease gun is very handy.... allows you to hold the tip on the zerk in those hard to reach places and still work the grease gun with one hand. :D

As for the title of this thread and my dirt mind..... I'll just keep those thoughts/idea's to myself! :naughty: :D

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Clean the zerk and make sure you find them all! I always us a good quality Red grease and try to grease it every 50 hours. They do sell a slide on tip the goes onto the zerk at a 90 degree angle for those hard get to zerks (usually if you have skid plates the a-arms are hard to get to straight on. Wheels off is so much easier.

My 2010 has 21 zerks and the last one is always the hardest to grease!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
what ever grease you use make sure its a waterproof type grease ..like for marine use....most chassis grease has a soap base to carry the oils of grease...as they break done it lubricates...

A true grease consists of an oil and/or other fluid lubricant that is mixed with a thickener, typically a soap, to form a solid or semisolid.
Soaps are the most common emulsifying agent used, and the selection of the type of soap is determined by the application. Soaps include calcium stearate, sodium stearate, lithium stearate.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1500 lb ATV jack, check
Wheels off, check
Flexible extension, check
Polaris suspension grease, check
Slide on tip, on order!
Naughty thoughts on Title - There has to be at least one in every crowd! :)

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I greased all fittings in 15 minutes without removing the wheels, but I did jack the front and back up to access some of the fittings and I used a 15" flexible tube on the hand grease gun. I also used a marine grease, and some took about 10 pumps to fill the first time, I don't think the factory uses very much.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The battery guns are nice but spendy. When I bought my skid steer I bought a pneumatic grease gun. A little but of a pain when you reload the tube but awesome for greasing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Does anyone know where and how to grease front driveshaft on 2013 sportsman 400. Can't find grease zerk on driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The new lift I built will work slick then for greasing yahoo

click on pic for video

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's so frickin cool! Greasing among other things, are so much easier lifted.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't know how you grease that quick. It takes me a while to grease all the points. It's a pain in the ass lol. But It's nice to have it done and feel better thats it's completed.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
it takes me over a hour to grease with wheels off.....and i have a one handed pump...cleaning the zerks off with a solvent to get clean...wipe off pushed out grease...I use a needle to hit ball joints an tie rod ends also...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Indy, that is awesome. I broke down and bought one that has the foot pump and has to come in from the side. Still better than nothing. I saw another thread that had a pic of grease points, but now I can't find it again. Anybody know of a schematic on where to find all the zerks? Are they different for different model years? Thanks!

Follow up: Never mind. I found it. Not sure if it is what I was thinking but I found it.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/6746-lube-chart-all-polaris-atvs.html

Would love to find a schematic in addition to the fluid specific charts. A picture is worth a thousand words!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks Mastroz!! That is great! Just ordered 4 new u joints for the 800, they WILL be the ones with zerks!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think a total of 19 zerks. And the ones in the rear I believe I jacked it up off the ground to grease as well. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 35 Posts