1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Not used here (too rich for my blood) But the link you include for the 400's oil sez: >Use in ALL air-cooled and water-cooled 4-stroke engines calling for SAE 10W-40 motor oil (JASO MB)"

The 400's manual calls for Different oil, I would not use it for that purpose. Luck! :cowboy:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually worked out to 27.50 for 6 oil changes with wix filters for both..

The lucas was the only oil (10777) i found stated for dry sump non wet clutch systems..

I have sent an email to lucas about the application for polaris oils waiting for that back..

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
That is much less expensive than i thought. Like most of polo engines, especially those started up in colder areas (say below 25F), it needs a 0-40 or at most 5-40 for startup protection. 10-xx is pushing that limit so may cause excessive startup wear. I don't know that for certain but many on this blog and others where polo techs participate say that. I run rotella t6 5-40, purrs like a kitten with that stuff. Luck!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was thinking of running the Rotella, the data sheet for the 10777 says it provides wear protection at start up and has excellent cold temperature properties.

EDIT:
The 10w is plenty ok for me as i do not run in weather below 30 deg if i were running colder weather i might have concern especially around the 0 degree mark or below..

lately im thinking 40 degrees and up as i am getting older the cold is not so much my friend..

the 400ex i have been running 20w-50 valvoline off road racing oil.. i have been running that for 10 years since i installed the big bore kit..

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil and filters came in last night 2 day shipping thanks to amazon prime..

ill change the oil in the 400EX and i will have oil and filters ready for sportsman when the 25HR breakin is done..

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
25hr break in oil change? No way, I dumped that shit out at 10hrs and again at 20hrs and then trans and diff's were done at 30hrs. You never know what kind of garbage or small metal shavings will be circulating in there for 25hrs!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
25hr break in oil change? No way, I dumped that shit out at 10hrs and again at 20hrs and then trans and diff's were done at 30hrs. You never know what kind of garbage or small metal shavings will be circulating in there for 25hrs!
Could be the filter should collect it out thats its job..

But you never know..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts