Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well went out to plow snow, got majority of driveway completed...shifter back to it's usual self, two hands on shifter and jerk hard multiple times to get it from low to reverse...been like that since new and dealer said it'd break in, and guys on here on both sides...it'll break in, or Polaris transmission issue.

Regardless, thing is stuck in Low gear since I was pushing into my pile, and shifter freely, no tension, no nothing moves forward and backwards like it's not connected to anything. So figured I'd post here hoping some guys had a similar problem and what they found, am hoping it's a quick fix vs tearing tranny off the bike and gutting it..but something hasn't been right with that thing since day one...find it hard to accept a two hand shifting and damn near pull the shifter off the machine is "normal"

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, just hooked it upto the truck to pull it out in the open, was hoping being stuck in low I could strip the plows off and ride it into the shed...me being stupid forgot it wont start in gear.

So pulled the seat off, linkage arm that bolts to tranny detent moves FREELY back and forth and it's pivoting on the detent bar on the outside of the transmission. Looks like it's getting winched onto trailer and taken to a dealer for warranty, which knowing dealers and Polaris they'll fight to get out of it, just hope that when they crack this thing they can hopefully fix this ongoing shifter problem since the day I bought it but keep being told is normal and will break in LOL. I thought that clutch kit made it better last weekend, was better than before, but today it was literally two hands on the shifter and having to use a little body weight to free it up...

Any quick tips on jump starting this thing? Going to look at wiring and see if there's something I can jump/by pass to start it in gear. so I can at least get out of the 30mph winds and crazy windchill.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it fired and in the shed...stripped arm and detent...arm is easy to replace but looks like the detent isn't, appears a total tranny removal?

Got the arm off and the good news is when the machine is shut of and a pair of vice grips on the detent stud, it goes into/out of all gears EASILY. Soon as I fired it up, it was rip and tug on the vice grips going from high to reverse ot low to reverse...cant get neutral without going to park and then back forward again since there's soo much built up pressure, when it releases out of Low or High it's literally right into park.

What a headache. Can get by with vice grips to change directions for this snow storm, but really..WTF.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thinking at this point [email protected]$k the Polaris cheap shit and I'll grind the splines off both sides of the shifter stud, and then make my own new arm so it's a rectangle engagement (think of the old automotive tranny brackets) vs all those splines since obviously the aluminum arm is just as hard as that steel detent shaft. since the aluminum wiped the splines right off the steel LMFAO!!!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Good Luck! I'm getting ready to do some plowing myself, they're calling for 10" to 11" by this evening.

·
Registered
545 Posts
What's the underlying issue with the difficult shifting?

I don't think it's normal by all means on the Sportsmans, especially on level ground.

Hopefully you get many more years with your A frame, but more leverage may destroy more expensive items. Seems that's a "fail safe" designed to strip so further damage isn't done.

I don't know, just hoping we can figure out the issue with you and not put a bandaid on a bullet wound.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sounds like you have an underlying clutch issue. Out of alignment or primary not disengaging all the way. Does the secondary spin pretty fast at idle in N or P? What's idle RPM?

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From things ive read polaris has always had horrible shifting issues jus due to primary clutch design..alotof guys claim installing a clutch kit fixes this...last weekend or two i put a qsc kit in and that day shifting was muuuch improved for the brief few hr ride we took...then its sat in its climate controlled home since and we got a big snow last night and still snowing now.

Fired it up and pulled it out of the shed and let it warm up a good ten minutes or so and then started with the plowing duties and it was harder to shift today then its ever been before...and i was exagurating having to use two hands on the lever and rock my body back to get it to come out of low gear and i had enough force on the stick it slammed itself into park each time i needed to back up.

I think maybe the bellhousing are IS supposed to be the consumable of that scenario...and i find it funny the bellhousing arm in picture above was wiped out AND it took down the steel splines on the shaft as well...kind of a testiment of how shitty that metal must be if aluminum can wipe out steel lol.

Since day one ive said and thought something hasnr been right with this clutch..after it turteled i asked dealer rebuilding it to check out clutch since you couldnt push the thing off a trailer when ideling...iitd stop, no free wheel....and many of diehards on hear kept saying everything is normal, dealer took and looked at clutch and said the hard shifting is normal, i asked about not being able to free wheel backwards and they said let it break in and itll be normal.

Just my opinion since im the one dealing with these headaches...so far if this tranny shit is normal, im getting this fixed and am now willing to take it up the ass on trade for somethi g else...cuz Imo, none of this shit should be "normal"

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Nothing you're saying is normal on my xp, if that shit was considered normal I'd have never bought a Polaris.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Definitely not normal. Get the cover off your clutches and take a picture of the belt sitting in the primary with the machine turned off. Or better yet, a video of the clutches spinning at idle. That will help diagnose it. Could ba as simple as a washer to be added or removed behind the secondary.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine shifts hard when snowplowing also. Try to not stop with a full load of snow pushing against the blade. If I pile snow up and have lots of pressure on the blade against a snow pile, it is almost impossible to get out of low and into reverse. I have learned to pull up the blade and roll to a stop or even let it roll back on it's own and pull lever while the bike is still rolling.

Just before I come to a dead stop, I pull the lever, and it usually comes out easy. If I load it up against a snow pile, I can hardly get it out of gear.

I would use caution on beefing up the spline from the "CHEAP" splined piece.
That piece is cheap, better to replace a cheap part than break the shaft off in the tranny.

D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Definitely not normal. If your idle isnt high then something is keeping tension on the belt and in turn the transmission. When plowing i let it idle down for a few seconds then shift to reverse. Only time i have any issues is when its warming up on the choke and idling at about 1800 rpm.

I would take it back and make them fix both, its not normal and should not have happened.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you have an underlying clutch issue. Out of alignment or primary not disengaging all the way. Does the secondary spin pretty fast at idle in N or P? What's idle RPM?
Im going to call the closest dealer before ordering a bell crank online to see if it will slide back over the detent stud....i gotta get cab and rear plow off so i can tear deeper into this thing but i will get some rpm readings and ill shoot a video of the clutches doing what theyre doing ...be nice if i can get the angle of the camera right to watch tach and clutches.

Just having a knee jerk reaction right now...severe lack of sleep and pissed off when the main reason i even got the dang thing was for snow removal...only had 1 snow fall all yr plowable...and now this second storm and machine is down...so hair trigger temperment wise and fact this clutch issue/transmission issue has been here since day one and keep hearing this word "normal"...so frustrated.

Hopefully get something figured out later this week and obviously ill keep up this post until its right. Googled and found a bunch of threads from here with similiar issues (stripped bell crank) and hard shifting. Going to check service manual about aligning clutches if for no other reason than to check...hate to pay dealer for something they set up before selling to me and another dealer checked and said everything is fine....or did they...

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine shifts hard when snowplowing also. Try to not stop with a full load of snow pushing against the blade. If I pile snow up and have lots of pressure on the blade against a snow pile, it is almost impossible to get out of low and into reverse. I have learned to pull up the blade and roll to a stop or even let it roll back on it's own and pull lever while the bike is still rolling.

Just before I come to a dead stop, I pull the lever, and it usually comes out easy. If I load it up against a snow pile, I can hardly get it out of gear.

I would use caution on beefing up the spline from the "CHEAP" splined piece.
That piece is cheap, better to replace a cheap part than break the shaft off in the tranny.

D
This has been an issue since day one i brought it home as far as hard to shift...sometimes are easier than others and thats no plowing...so todays it acted like it always has but obviously wear and tear of the riding to date was the final nail in the coffin for the bell crank.

Hopeing i can salvage the splines on the detent shaft with a tiny rat file cor the new bell crank so i dont have to take it in. I can count on two fingers the positives ive had with any dealer diagnoising and fixing a problem, so i imagine ill end up knee deep in this so i know itll be checked out to the fullest vs some kid in the shop making $10/hr and no shits given.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Sorry to hear about this IHI, I know you've had a love/hate relationship with your 550 from day one. Hope you get riding again soon !

·
Registered
179 Posts
That really sucks, I know how you feel with not being able to plow, my first winch died when my quad wasn't even a week old and I'm out there shovelling with a brand new quad sitting there, so frustrating, both my XP's have always shifted very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
If it shifts fine like u say with the engine off, then that's a good sign it's not the tranny giving you hard shifts. Like Ryan said, take a look, pic and or video of your clutches with the cover off and bike running. Pretty much guarantee your belt is being turned at idle and it shouldn't be.....this makes the secondary clutch (tranny) turn and that is what makes it hard to shift gears.
I went through the whole creeping and hard shifting on my 2001 500 HO when I first bought it.....if you can stop the primary from turning the belt at idle, it will shift normally.....

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think your pulling it too hard... Lol sorry ihi I had to say that. I wonder if the trans input shaft was still spinning when u tried to put it in reverse and the cheap Polaris splines just stripped. Sorry it happened.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fuse, been love/hate for sure. I realized quickly I bought the wrong sized machine since it's so slow and lethargic, and that was my bad...then dealer saying I need to drive it a few yrs because what I'll give you now with 47miles on will be the same as I'll give you in 2-3yrs with I don't care miles on it. Then knowing something hasn't been right with the tranny since new even though in my gut I knew better, cant imagine any quad would act like mine does and be considered good/normal, it's simply not safe and a guy shouldn't have to tear parts up to shift gears. Quad should be able to FREELY roll backwards down a hill backwards, while still being in low gear...not ratchet back, not stop itself (which I still say is what happened when the thing turtled)

If it shifts fine like u say with the engine off, then that's a good sign it's not the tranny giving you hard shifts. Like Ryan said, take a look, pic and or video of your clutches with the cover off and bike running. Pretty much guarantee your belt is being turned at idle and it shouldn't be.....this makes the secondary clutch (tranny) turn and that is what makes it hard to shift gears.
I went through the whole creeping and hard shifting on my 2001 500 HO when I first bought it.....if you can stop the primary from turning the belt at idle, it will shift normally.....
I'm going to set the gopro up and vid the clutches after I take the cover off, I'll rev it, let it back down to idle and try shifting gears...basically go through the gamete so guys smarter than me can tell me what it's doing and what to try since I have very little experience with the CVT clutching.

I'm just hoping the detent splines are salvageable so tranny doesn't have to be ripped down to bare nothing just to swap out the shaft. If I can get clutching figured out to allow easier shifting, it may work well enough that perfect splines and perfect spline engagement will band aid it's way through, but I'm going to order 2 of these bell cranks since they're cheap and easy to replace, don't want to take it out of town and be down for something this stupid.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts