Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying used has its downsides. The PO of my 2001 Magnum 325 4x4 either put things back on wrong or not at all. I have been busy fixing his misdeeds. My current problem is it is missing the bracket that attaches the carburetor to the frame.

I have never seen an off road vehicle that attached the carb to the frame. And I own(or have owned) many of different makes. This is new to me. My question is it really necessary? It seems firmly mounted to the engine and the airbox(which is firmly mounted to the frame).

I have cleaned and adjusted the carb and it works fine except after hours of riding it will flood on long idle. Simple solution is don't idle. I shut it off when sitting for awhile and restart and it works fine.

My second question is the fuel pump really necessary? Again I believe gravity fuel feed is more common in ORVs. Anyone tried bypassing the pump and feeding directly from the fuel switch to the carb?

Lastly does anyone have a carb bracket they would like to sell? They aren't much at the dealer, so I may order one.

·
11,613 Posts
The carb bracket keeps the carb from vibrating around and flooding/leaking (your problem) and will eventually wear out the float valve. You could probably just make one pretty easily.
I often buy tear down fastener and hardware sets off ebay when I'm refurbishing older machines that have bolts and parts missing due to PO's repair attempts. Its usually more cost effective than buying individual parts.

On most Polaris machines the bottom of the tank where the fuel outlets are located is lower than the carb and the pump is needed since it can't gravity feed at lower fuel levels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought two rubber standoffs and made a bracket. It's a bear to install. Not much room on the right side with that vent. It's solid now.

My flooding on idle turns out to be a misadjusted pilot screw. I am sure I set it around two turns out, but it was over four. After I retune I am going to put a dab of silicon adhesive on the end of the screw to hold it in place.

I still don't think it needs a fuel pump as it ran fine on gravity feed. But mine checks out ok so I am going to reconnect it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts