Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share my issue and what did I to fix it. I also was wondering if others were experiencing similar issues.

I have a 2001 Magnum 325 I bought used about a year ago. I rode it all summer and I never heard the oil cooler fan kick in. I thought this was strange but I didn't think much of it. Well I was riding deep snow trails last weekend and the heat light came on about 5 times before I could get back to my truck. Each time I would shut off the engine and let the bike cool and then ride for 20 mins until the light came on again. The entire time the fan never kicked in. The bike was obviously hot even with the air temperature being right at freezing.

When I got it home I tore it apart, sent 12v to the fan directly and I could tell the fan wanted to turn but was froze. After I forced the fan to turn by hand (which took a lot of effort) I again applied 12v directly to the fan and it spun nice and fast. I put the bike back together and this time hardwired my fan to a switch I can turn on whenever because I do not feel confident in the fan kicking on by itself because it has obviously not turned on its own for a long time.

I guess my question is, have others experienced similar issues. I know the atv was very well taken care of before me and never submerged or even trail ridden before I got it. It was used by an older gentleman to pull a small cart around his yard. The only real reason I can think that the fan was frozen was because it simply never came on. Maybe the atv never got hot enough in the past to turn the fan? I don't really know. That is why I hardwired it so at least I can flip a switch and force the fan to turn on. Riding an atv that is at risk of overheating kind of ruins the experience for me.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
575 Posts
They have kind of a sketchy setup for turning the fan on, I'm going through this on my 2000 magnum right now. It's pretty common for the temp sensor in the oil cooler to go bad. That is wired into the LR60 fan module next to the voltage regulator. It has some odd wiring for and American ATV. The orange and white wire to the fan should have 12v any time the key is on. The other wire to the fan (can't remember the wire color) switches the ground to control the fan. If you unplug the temp sensor, the fan and hot light should come on. Check for chaffed wiring where the wires come out of the LR60 module and loop around to the front of the machine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts