Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Polaris Magnum 325, 2022 Yamaha 450
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a 2002 Magnum 325 4x4. I just changed the spark plug on the ATV and pulled the spark plug cap in and out one too many times I think and the spark plug terminal got stuck with the end of the spark plug! I got very panicky, and put the cap back on even with the broken terminal. I decided to start the engine and it works fine. Very surprised, even there is a broken out terminal stuck to the spark plug.
Anyways, I am just wondering does the spark plug cap screw off or just pull off? I tried to pull it a bit but it is very tight and don’t want to break the ignition wires. Can anyone tell me if I can just pull or do I twist it off? I want to fix that terminal.

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
The cap unscrews - left hand twist to unscrew and remove right hand twist to tighten or install.

BTW - a tight connection is necessary to prevent the cap from inadvertently coming off the plug but a lose connection actually provides a stronger spark. It's a phenomena of high voltage electricity - if you foul a spark plug, don't have a spare and are miles from your base of excursion, try pulling the plug cap back about 1/4 inch from the spark plug terminal. This will delay the spark a fraction of a second and the energy builds to a higher voltage before jumping the gap between the cap and the plug - this stronger spark may jump the gap of the spark plug's electrodes instead of following the carbon track on the electrode insulator. If the spark jumps the electrode gap, the engine will start and you may continue to ride it back to your base. This does not fix the problem and the plug should be replaced at the first opportunity, but I have used this trick to get out of a pickle many times. So don't be surprised that engine will run with a loose connection, just be aware that the cap could come off from vibration at the most inopportune moment.

·
Registered
2002 Polaris Magnum 325, 2022 Yamaha 450
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Latebird, I was looking for the spark plug terminals and I couldn't find it anywhere. No one sells them and when I checked Amazon, it didn't look like the right snap on ones. I can't fix the broken terminal if I can't find a place to get these terminals or the right ones? Any one has any suggestions on where to get these terminals and what size, angle they are? It's for my 2002 Polaris Magnum 325.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts