Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all

I posted a while back about this atv not wanting to run and rough idles.....i go tit cleaned(so i thought) and it ran ok for about a week maybe....then suddenly just died out going down the laneway.....i pushed back into garage and took carb off and tried to celan it again....since i have no clue what im doing...i need to ask a few questions.

i took the bottom bowl off and cleaned it.took the brass screw off the main jet(silver) and pulled it out and cleaned that as well....then took off top where spring and plunger is and cleaned all that.i blew air into the fuel line to make sure they weren't plugged and also air into the siler jet and it was clean....what did i miss doing,i have been messing with this thing for a week now......the repair tech in town wants 225 to rebuild the carb,.....

also if i spray cleaner into the carb while hooked to bike it will start and then dies,im guessing i have a fuel issue....and the air gas mixture only seems to turn one and a half times either way....i was unsure how to take the float off.i could not get the pin to slide out at all....there is fuel getting into the bowl because when i loosen the drain screw it does leak out.....

i also checked both air intakes and they are clean.any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds like the idle Jet is clogged, normally the idle just sits down in a recessed hole that you need a fairly narrow straight blade screw driver to unscrew. Take that out and use carb cleaner and compress air and clean it out and make sure that you can see light through it when your done. Same with the main jet but that ones a lot bigger and easier to clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info....this would also cause it to not start as well......i can pull or turn over and it will not fire at all....as soon as i spray carb cleaner it it though it fires right up...ill try that in the morning :)

:veryhappy:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Typically in most carbs when the bowl is off and your looking down on it. Your float is a l_l shape inside that l_l is a visible jet that is just smaller than a dime about half the size really. That is the main jet. The needle goes into that going up and down allowing fuel to come up as you hit the throttle at wide open the needle does not block its hole anymore. Right next to that main typically brass main jet is the pilot, most are recessed down ina hole, asstated a small flathead will remove this. Also brass in color most look like a machine gun barrel or a a short stubby piece, much smaller hole this controls the idle -1/4 throttle speed 1/4 -3/4 is the needle adjustment and the main controls the wide open throttle. Thats how you can analyze where your problem lies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

going from bottom to top....im assuming the float valve is whats under the float....the brass screw is where the main jet is?and is the idle one the one that is recessed in the plastic....also what is the brass one just to the left of it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got the float pulled off and checked and cleaned the needle and other silver piece under it....im assuming the idle one which is just above the brass screw in the picture is the one i need to get out and clean....it wont budge

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The pilot jet is the one recessed in the hole just above the main jet in the center in your picture. The screw outside the bowl at the very top is the mixture screw. That controls the flow through the pilot jet. Turn it in till it lIghtly stops counting the turns. Then remove it and be careful but to lose the spring, washer and oring under it. Spray carb cleaner through both passages then compressed air to get the stuff out. Then make sure the pilot jet is clear before putting it back in. Then put spring, washer and oring back on the mixture screw after cleaning it and reinstall to the same place it was set before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you.both of these are not moving and i have almost stripped them.i ordered a new carb kit for it...im hoping it contains the mixture screw too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok further update...i got the new carb in today and went to put it on and saw that the intake where carb hooks to has crack around it so ordered a new one....question though.....i have a torn seal on the gas tank line that is on bottom of the tank,anyone have a proper name for this or even better the polaris part number for it?the fuel line goes in the middle of it,its oranges and plugs or clips into the bottom of gas tank to stop it from leaking
as always thanks for your guys help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts