Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here,
Looking for some help. Never owned an atv, picked up a 2004 Magnum 330 4x4 cheap the other day. Needs a few repairs. Here is the problem, front wheel bearings bad, cannot get hub to come off. Take the axle nut off and hub should come off, correct??? I found an online manual that I downloaded, and it does not show anything holding the hub on but the axle nut.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Randy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that, nothing. Even hit it with a brass hammer, nothing. Could it be rusted to the bearing? Any idea how I could use a puller on it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will give it a shot. Thought about making a way to hook my slide hammer to the wheel studs and see if that would break them loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made a bracket to bolt to wheel studs, used slide hammer. Bearing broke, part of race is still on hub. Needs a lower ball joint also. Doesnt this take a special tool to change??

·
12,356 Posts
For the ball joint, you can easily make a puller with some scrap pipe that will fit over the joint and some big flat washers. Use the joint nut and impact wrench to pull it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the ball joint, you can easily make a puller with some scrap pipe that will fit over the joint and some big flat washers. Use the joint nut and impact wrench to pull it out.
Didnt think that would work, the ball joint would spin. I found a tie rod from a riding lawn mower that had the same threads, so I welded a nut to it and attached to the slide hammer. couple whacks and it was out. Now gotta do the other side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ball joint and hub

if you take the plate off the bottem of the ball joint and grease the zerk it will push out the joint? you will want to clean out the grease before reinstalling. and if you don't have a puller to pull hub. or slam hammer a old school trick is to hook a small log chain to a lug nut via washers lug nut ect. not to mess up treads. and whip it like a bull whip. don't get crazy at first. the quick snap will break stuff lose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts