Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2003 magnum 330. I used it to plow some snow this winter. I was always in low range and didn't think the RPMs ever got to high.

My issue is when i get to the higher speed side of low range the ATV starts to slip. My first thought was "ok i burnt up the belt" so i replaced it.

I think my issue is the secondary clutch. I pulled the side off and rode around watching the clutches, in high range they work fine with no slipping, but in low it does. The reason i think its the secondary is because it seems that it is not allowing enough tension on the belt.

Any similar issues or answers?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Chances are the buttons in the secondary that the helix rides on are worn. And a good chance the spring has lost some of it's strength after 12 years. Take it off, open it up and inspect it.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the comments! I was also leaning towards the buttons and springs, I will get the clutch pulled apart and inspected. I will update this thread as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
be sure to scuff the riding surfaces of the belt every time you change the belt. the belt may ride higher in low cause ther rpms are higher may not be enough tension in the top of the sheave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys, i took the secondary apart and found the buttons to be worn on one side. I just turned them around and they were like new again. i didnt notice anything out of place.

It is still "slipping" at top end of low range. Here is a video to help.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like they are working properly. Might be time for a new belt.
This a brand new belt in the video. You cant really tell in the video but i am not going no where near as fast as i should be. I understand it is low range and not a fast gear but it use to go a lot faster than it is. You can hear the engine start to rev real high but the ATV doesn't move much faster.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I can't see the secondary well enough. I kept leaning left to look around the side. LOL Did you tension the spring properly when you put the secondary back together? Also not sure how you flipped the buttons around as they are curved to fit the contour of the clutch. But if you got them in, good job. Saved yourself $30. You can run a sharpie up the face of the clutches and run it around to see if they are shifting all the way. The primary looks like it is going all the way for sure. Maybe even a little farther than it should.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha, I did have to "modify" them a little but I know they are good. The spring does suns like it could be th issue I guess. It just happened out of the blue while pushing snow. Maybe it got hot and lost tension?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Before you press the helix down over the buttons you need to rotate the sheave counter clock wise about 1/4-1/3 of a turn. Just need to get the buttons rotated past the next ramp in line. If that makes sense. Spring should be in holes 2 and 2 also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before you press the helix down over the buttons you need to rotate the sheave counter clock wise about 1/4-1/3 of a turn. Just need to get the buttons rotated past the next ramp in line. If that makes sense. Spring should be in holes 2 and 2 also.
When you say rotate the sheave, you mean while the bottom part of the clutch is held still rotate the sheave back, twisting the spring? i dont believe i did that!! oops..

if the buttons were wore enough could the sheave have rotated a tooth forward possibly?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yes, the helix could have jumped the buttons if they were worn to much. If the ramps on the helix are chewed up sand them down and take any rough edges off them. Otherwise it will drag and chew the buttons up faster.

With it face down, rotate the top sheave while keeping the lower one from moving, then press the helix down and put the washer and snap ring on. Sounds like you have the idea. And not doing that will lw the secondary fall open and it will be a turd and the belt will slip too. Everything it's doing now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts