Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, really appreciate the forum, and the help I have gotten in the past. I have a 2000 Magnum 500 4X4. The other day, my son rode it around the yard for about 20-25 minutes. He drives it slowly, about 5-10 mph. After he was finished, he got off, and left it idling for 2 or 3 minutes. When I walked over to get on and move it to the garage, it would not go forward. When I gave it throttle, it sort of lifted up a bit, but, it would not go. I shut it off and left it for an hour and a half or so because I had to go somewhere. When I returned, it started right up and drove fine. FWIW, it has done this twice, and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what is causing it. I was thinking it had something to do with being hot, since when it cooled down it ran fine. This is an older machine, BUT, is rarely used and I am embarrassed to say sat for years in the garage, and has only about 90 hours total on it.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
My first thought is brake(s) locked up. All it would take is the rear caliper to be dragging a bit. in the beginning it would move but maybe take a little more effort from the engine and clutch, maybe not enough to notice. once moving, the dragging brake would heat up and expand. As long as it was moving it would continue to do so, but when you stop, the brake would grab hard. Cool down for an hour or so, the brake pads and rotor would contract and release enough to move again. I am saying rear brake because if a front brake was dragging it would pull to that side. Parking brake left on would do it too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts