Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hope everyone is well. It's been awhile, but so far the wheeler has been doing alright. I've been working around/with all the leaks and other issues, but this one's getting pretty apparent. The rear diff always leaked a drop here and there from the right side, and I've always topped it up when it got low, but this morning I go out and there's a small puddle underneath the back end. It looks like it leaks from where the axle slides into the diff, but it must be coming from the seal and slinging around everywhere.

Other than the seal, nothing else can leak around there correct? How difficult is this seal to replace, can I just unbolt the four bolts on the right side and the three bolts on the left and roll the whole rear axle/diff/tires right out? Then pull the right tire/hub and go to work? There was rear end work done on this machine many years ago, but it also sat for five or so years before I got it. I've searched around but there isn't much info on this.

#2 is what I need, pricey little piece.

Online pic of leaking area

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that latebird! I'll post an update on how everything goes once I get into town to get the seal. Hopefully I can change that seal the way I think I can; probly not, but we'll see I guess. What is the collar in the black and white pic above?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys I'm back with an update, I had a heck of a time changing the seal and I still have a leak. The piece inside the diff that it seals against must be too worn to properly seal on. I didn't think it was that bad, but it might be. I'll see how bad the leak is, I might try another seal or just keep adding oil. Anyways I'm going to upload a few pics as there is next to no info about this online.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drilled into the old one with a small bit, threaded a wood screw in and popped it out with pliers.

In order to get the rear end bolted back up to the swing arm, I put a bottle jack under the front of the diff on the square part, and jacked it up gently to get the bolt holes to all line up. Not a bad job, just a little disappointing when the new seal doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the pic above is the hole where you access the grease zerk on the coupler between the short rear drive shaft and pinion shaft

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great info in this thread! Sorry to hijack it but my bearing (#19) shredded on the output shaft #18 above. Also wore out the back of the cap #22. Im just wondering how the output shaft comes out of the gearcase? I have it split apart on the axle but did not slide the axle off yet, hoping i dont have to since someone wellded the axle nut on...
thanks!

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Please, it's not a differential, it is a final drive gear case

#18 is the input pinion - after removing the drive shaft (from transmission to the gear case), remove the 4 bolts and remove the pinion cover - this will allow removal of the pinion shaft without removal of the axle from the final drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok thanks, i took those 4 bolts off but it did not seem to wanna budge. The bearing is in pieces so maybe its binding it up.
I dont recall saying differential :p
Its all on my bench now so a little easier to work on, i do need to take the gearcase apart and clean it up. The entire thing is full of mud and gunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
lol i saw it after i posted that...my bad! was just keeping it in this thread because the diagram and removal instructions were exactly what i needed. Thanks again this thread helped alot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No need to apologize for hijacking, hijack away! When I was doing that seal, there was F-all for info on it. I tried to document everything as best I could to help the next person doing this so they aren’t completely in the dark. I’m glad it helped someone. Feel free to post anything diff/rear gear case related. The more info everyone adds to this thread the better it’ll be :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts