Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have replaced the rear brake pads on my Magnum 4x4. Not fun! Now for the problem.

When I went to bleed the brakes afterwards, I sheared off the bleeder screw! D'Oh! Does anyone know what size of bleeder screw is supposed to be in there? I have called the dealer and he doesn't know the size, "but can order me one!" Now I just want to go to the auto parts store and hopefully get one.

The only thing I know is that the wrench size is 1/4". Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I think the size is 1/4"-28. I work in a auto parts store and we sell them in our "HELP" section. They are in a red package made by Motormite or Dorman company. You might have to buy a assorted package. Take what is left of the bleeder screw to the parts store and have them put a thread gauge on it. A good parts guy can find the correct bleeder for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply about the size. I'll give it a try and try to post a result.

The reason I need to bleed is that I actually need to change the oil too. The current stuff is well beyond being done. I would even bet it's the original fluid!

·
11,155 Posts
Oh yeah, it gets pretty nasty after a while. Were you able to get the bleeder parts out of the caliper? If so, a good auto parts guy should be able to match it up for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hopefully you just snapped it off turning it the wrong way because there might be a chance to remove what is left, if you were turning it the correct way to remove it may be to rusted in to remove and have to replace the caliper, good luck.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I just had a brainstorm. If the bleeder is not leaking just loosen the brake hose and drin it that way. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.:hmmm:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, time for an update. I got a new bleeder screw today from the auto parts store. 1/4"-28 looks like the others. Thanks for that info! Today it was too hot outside to do too much. I did get a chance to see if the brake line would come off, and it will! Good for me. I guess I'll try to get that caliper off tomorrow and see how bad the bleeder really is. If I'm able, I will try to get some pictures of it too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts