Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 500 HO 4x4 and it's got major electrical issues. From what I've read on here the last couple days, it seems as if the problem relates to the spedo and I need a new one.

BLUF: With the key in the ignition the electric start will not work, nothing at all shows up in the spedo display and the 4x4 doesn't work. If I pull start it, it fires right up and runs like a champ, I just can't use 4x4 or know what's going on with the sensors/fuel/etc...

The Story: I bought this thing a couple years ago, it had been rolled by the PO, who had then fixed a couple things and it worked well enough, although many of the things I'd expect to show up in the spedo display were never visible. Fast forward a couple years and I took off on a contract for a couple months, leaving the ATV in the back yard instead of in the garage, I had covered it with a tarp, but when I got home the tarp had blown off and the spedo and front area had taken a bit of rain. At first it ran fine, but slowly things stopped working, like the display, the electric start and finally the 4x4 switch. According to the Polaris parts finder, it says I need part#3280482; however, that part has been replaced with#3280431.

The Questions:
1. A new spedo assy will fix the issues?
2. If I put a new spedo assy in this, how will I then be able to toggle through the display functions and/or run diagnostics on it? The lower headlight pod has the part#3 grommet in it (says EFI Diagnostics on it), but there's nothing behind it? Should there be some button on the spedo assy I can push to cycle through sensors, etc...?
TIA, Joe

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i would start by cleaning all the connectors in pod area first and then start on the others...get some oxi date connector cleaner best there is..clean then and use some dielectric grease in the connectors and plugs...try jumping the solenoid post to post to see if it turns over...the pigtail wire going to solenoid activates the coils inside and thats fed from the pod area...you may have more of an electrical issue than a speedo...since its been weather beaten uncovered...

·
Registered
164 Posts
X2 on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would start by cleaning all the connectors in pod area first and then start on the others...get some oxi date connector cleaner best there is..clean then and use some dielectric grease in the connectors and plugs...try jumping the solenoid post to post to see if it turns over...the pigtail wire going to solenoid activates the coils inside and thats fed from the pod area...you may have more of an electrical issue than a speedo...since its been weather beaten uncovered...
Thanks, that is basically what I just finished doing before joining here and posting. Took it all apart and cleaned everything off, etc... Absolutely nothing shows in the spedo, there is no display any more, blank LEDs. I should also note that as a result of the PO rolling this thing, the spedo cover/lense is a bit cracked/scratched and let water into it. So far, I'm just happy the magic smoke hasn't been let out of anyplace else...

I'm going to order/install a new spedo unit and post up after that's installed.
Joe

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Caig DeoxIT D5. I use the stuff to clean up troublesome connectors and it works on all but the worst of them. If they're corroded away nothing will bring em back but surface crud and corrosion goes away.
I paint on a thin layer of generic Dielectric grease where it'll help. Just wipe it on the terminals and seals with a cheap China Mart kids toy watercolor brush or plumbers acid brush. Don't gob it on it'll cause problems if you do.

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Hatzie is right...less is best..more can be troublesome since the grease is non conductive....De Oxit is the best...only product allowed on US jets....it does have a lube in it also to prevent further corrision....but the dielectric will last longer I bet...i do all my connections with both products...

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did you find out? I was having a similar issue. I replaced the speedo but the new isn't working either. Now another issue came up... The engine stop switch is going bad too. If I hold it just right it will start. However the speedo and 4wd still don't work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts