Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes there own winch cable? I have some broken cable and want to fix it up as a back up. How do you make the loop on the end?

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you're going to do it, make sure you use a thimble in the eye. It'll keep you from having your winch hook wear down the end of the loop.

These are the wire rope clamps Mike3821 talked about.

Also, if you own (or have access to) the proper crimpers, these wire rope crimps work well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Lt (jgcoastie) is right. A thimble will help protect the cable loop longer. I could not get one to get through the eye of the hook. I like using the saddle clamps because they are easy and I don't have a swaging tool to crush the other type. But use at least 2.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you're going to use the wire rope clamps make sure you put them on correctly. Put the cast saddle piece on the live end (the long end that spools back onto the winch drum) and the u-bolt on the dead end. Use 2 clamps like that and it will be strong enough. Oh and get or make a large winch cable stop so you don't pull the clamps into your winch fairlead.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Last winter when my cable had a few broken wires from getting pinched on the spool from plowing.... I picked up this swaging tool and somwe ferrules (below). It was within the first 2 feet of the cable, so I cut if off and re-swaged it. Haven't had an issue since, and now I have one more tool for the tool box arsonal.... for the next time I need to repair or make a new winch cable or any cable for that matter!!

Swaging Tool ($20):

Home Depot Link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lehigh-Swaging-Tool-ST18S/100243794#product_description

Ferrule ($2-3):

Home Depot Link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-3-16-in-Aluminum-Ferrules-and-Stops-GD-12153/202633625

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Use thimble guide, aluminum ferrules and a swagging tool. You should crimp each ferrule twice at about 1/3 the way from each end. Don't use the the u bolt type wire crimps as the are not really designed for a winch wire or a wire that you hang your safety on. I use to fly ultralight airplanes that used cables to hold the wings in place and a properly swagged cable is the only way to go. Also, the thimble not only makes a nice loop it creates a friction area that also helps hold the cable from pulling loose from the ferrule. Very good system and bullet proof if done right. Pulled my 850 with me and all my gear up and over a huge boulder last year and it was almost vertical at one point. I was a bit nervous myself as this was the first test of my home made cable but it was perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts