Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gas is better to run through your machine I've been running marine gas through my 2012 sportsman 850, what's the difference between marine and regular gas?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have never heard of marine gas? What octane is it?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Around here there is no difference accept cost... Marine fuel is close to 5$ + gallon compaired to 4$ on the street. They are same names too Sunoco, Mobil. And so on. They also still have ethanol in them. We treat every tank with Startron to combat it.

CW

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
what's the difference between marine and regular gas?
About a dollar a gallon :lmao:

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Marine fuel SUPPOSEDLY does not have ethanol. If you ride your quad alot and not let it sit long run regular fuel. But if it may sit for some time run marine fuel. The ethanol eats fuel lines up, and will separate in your fuel tank making it useless. I am still learning about it but I do know ethanol attracts moisture. Marine fuel is all I run in my Foreman or any outdoor power equipment. But I buy my fuel from a station that clearly states No Ethanol. I see some stations that say marine fuel but say nothing about ethanol. That worries me.

Sent from the dam phone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
No ethanol free stations anywhere near me!

Ethanol is alcohol made from plants, like corn. The worst thing about it is it absorbs water!

What Is Ethanol? - For Dummies

CW

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I've never heard of marine fuel, but we do have ethonal free fuel stations out here. Recomended for pretty much everything thats outdoor related from ATV's to mowers to boats, and bikes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's been years since I bought fuel at a marina for a boat but a quick search on the internet indicates that the probable difference between the 2 is that you are not paying road use taxes on marine fuel. (I also seem to remember that marine fuel was a higher octane, at least years ago?) This would make it illegal to use in your automobiles, trucks unless the taxes are paid. Sort of like living here in a ranching area, some stations sell "red" diesel which is for off road use only. It's dyed so if found it a regular vehicle fuel tank, you're in trouble. Again, no road taxes are paid on it. Same reason you can't fill a propane fueled vehicle from a regular propane dealer, no taxes paid.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Marine formula Stabil or Startron is your best friend

·
Registered
152 Posts
Unless I have been mislead ethanol or grain alcohol is actually a lot better than the alternatives. Originally gasoline used ethanol to increase the octane level then distributors made up a number of unproven rumors regarding ethanol to justify the use of lead based octane boosters that were cheaper for them to produce, they needed to make lead better considering the horrible heath risks associated with it. So the anti ethanol propaganda was put out by people who make gasoline so they could use cheaper alternatives with more heath risks. While ethanol does not contain as much energy as gasoline it also prevents premature combustion and engine knock. Ethanol wasn't an environmental thing pushed by hippies it was the original concept.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Corn is for eating and making moonshine. It don't belong in your gas tank.
Sh!t, I'd rather have some moonshines in my gas tank. higher octain.:trink4:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Corn is for eating and making moonshine. It don't belong in your gas tank.

I agree and I am glad to hear SOME PEOPLE have the choice... others do not. Welcome to liberal New England...

All fuel here is ethanol based... Sea Foam / Star Tron is my friend.

CW

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok well my machine is brand new I don't know if I really need premium gas in my atv but the marine fuel has oil in it and I don't want to take that risk

So regular gas is my best bet?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
So regular gas is my best bet?
Yep, exactly.

Some will swear by high octane premium, but I have yet to see conclusive evidence that it increases performance in these engines.

I believe in using seafoam, star tron, stabil or any other known fuel stabilizer if yours sits at all. If its been working in marine engines for years, why would it not work in an atv engine?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I am one of those that likes to use premium fuel. Makes me feel better, I also use Sea Foam religiously. I may skip it if I'm gonna run it all out that day or that ride. But I have learned that ANY fuel that goes in the cans gets treated!

I know the dealers say reg fuel and the manual says 89 octane. I feel better using premium, in the bigger picture I don't use that much for the 15-25 cents a gal cost to hurt anything...

CW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts