Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 sportsman xp 850 touring. It had 68 miles and 9 hours. Atv has never seen the woods (showroom condition). Well I want to put bighorns on it and want to know how big I can go. I took the front rims/tires off my buddies rzr 1000 wich has 29" bighorns and they did fit. I was thinking 27 or 28" was my best option . I really dont want to reclutch. Any help would be great

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Finger hovering over "Ban the Bruce Button"..... Welcome lol

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I would stick with 26" Bighorns if you do not plan on any clutch work.

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
If I go back to Bighorns (likely) when I'm needing tires, I will be putting 29" BH's on it, but I don't have a Touring model. I've read that they are actually closer to 28", so clutch work probably wouldn't really be needed. The taller tire will overcome the downfalls of the 14" wheels. If you already tried them on, it sounds like you already know the answer to your question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responces. I read entire touring post listed above. Good info there. The 29" tires/wheels were off of front of rzr 1000 and are 29x14x9. The rears wouldn't even bolt up because of wheel backspacing. I do not want to do lift because I love the way it handles (been down that road before....lift/big tires/snorkles...ect.....) just want a better tire and a lil more ground clearance. I am still unsure on what size to buy. Would like to utilize the stock rims but it looks like you have to buy new wheels to fit anything over 26".

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I do have to thank you for the Bighorn suggestion Bob.
1st putting today with the new tires, holy crap! Rode a LOT better, no more wa-wa-wah noise on hard pack.
Traction, greatly improved. Forward bite was great as was lateral. Much more stabile than the factory tires with the rear bar disconnected as well. Many others suggested them as the best all around tire. I do appreciate your input!

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
Dollar for dollar, they are the best tire you can buy for your ATV.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the responces. I read entire touring post listed above. Good info there. The 29" tires/wheels were off of front of rzr 1000 and are 29x14x9. The rears wouldn't even bolt up because of wheel backspacing. I do not want to do lift because I love the way it handles (been down that road before....lift/big tires/snorkles...ect.....) just want a better tire and a lil more ground clearance. I am still unsure on what size to buy. Would like to utilize the stock rims but it looks like you have to buy new wheels to fit anything over 26".
I had a 2010 850 touring and you need to be careful on tire size with the rear sway bar and the passenger footrest like mentioned in the earlier post. the rear suspension setup on the 2010 touring's are different than the newer machines...2011-2014. I bought 25.5 pitbull rockers and they helped increase ground clearance over stock but didn't help much. up front it doesn't really matter size wise. good luck!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bobx2, I'm surprised to read that you're going to 29" tires. I feel like you're always a supporter of keeping the mods reasonable and not pushing the components past their limits when it comes to issues of axle breaking, etc that you read around here. No criticism, just curious about the 29" decision..

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Same here bobx2 shocked when I heard ur going to BH 29" tires. U r correct the typical ratio of tire to rim diameter should be 2:1, totally understand that. And if u rode 26" bigs prior to the rockers the bigs were closer to a 27" tire. So if 29" bigs are closer to 28" I guess in theory u will only b increasing tire diameter by 1-1.5 inch. My concerns would be how the increase in ground clearance offsets the center of gravity and makes the bike more suseptable to tipping/rollovers in the more technical type riding conditions.

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
Bobx2, I'm surprised to read that you're going to 29" tires. I feel like you're always a supporter of keeping the mods reasonable and not pushing the components past their limits when it comes to issues of axle breaking, etc that you read around here. No criticism, just curious about the 29" decision..
It would only be to get the tire sidewall back that you lose with the 14" wheels. A 28" tire on a 14" wheel would have the same amount of sidewall as a 26" tire on a 12" wheel. Since the 28"x14" Bighorns only come in a 10" width, and I read that the 29" is closer to 28 than 29, it wouldn't be that big of a jump from the 26.5" tires I'm currently running. The weight would be a tad lighter than my Rockers, and I could go back to running 4-5 psi in my tires, instead of the 8-9 that I have to run now. If I haven't broken an axle with the bite I get with the Rockers, I don't think I have any worries doing it with a Bighorn. I avoid mud whenever possible, and anything over 45 mph is too fast in my opinion. With the extra inch (approx.) of GC, I would also be able to soften up my Elkas even more as well, for an even better ride.
We'll see. I still have at least a summer left in my Rockers. Who knows what might catch my eye by then...:ponder:

·
Registered
619 Posts
logic makes sense to me. I'll be interested to hear how they work out, though I know it probably wont be until next year or something. good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
Same here bobx2 shocked when I heard ur going to BH 29" tires. U r correct the typical ratio of tire to rim diameter should be 2:1, totally understand that. And if u rode 26" bigs prior to the rockers the bigs were closer to a 27" tire. So if 29" bigs are closer to 28" I guess in theory u will only b increasing tire diameter by 1-1.5 inch. My concerns would be how the increase in ground clearance offsets the center of gravity and makes the bike more suseptable to tipping/rollovers in the more technical type riding conditions.
By softening my Elkas, I can drop my ATV as much as 3/4" if I want/need to, so stability isn't a concern to me. Being able to run lower air pressure would lower the stance a little as well. On the other hand, with the exception of Moab, I can use all the clearance I can get. My skid plates can vouch for that. :veryhappy:

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Gotcha. Makes a ton of sense with the bigger tires u have created more adjustability via spring/shock set up and tire psi. I would also like more clearance but have always been weary of the side effects of running larger tires ie increasing the bikes center of gravity. Well I'll b looking forward to ur feedback from the larger bigs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you guys think of swapping a arms from side to side in rear (left on right side and right side on left)? It looks like stock the a arms bend towards the front of the atv? This would make the wheelbase longer and accomidate bigger tires with no rubbing?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Suspension geometry, shock/spring would need to be moved.
Shafts will not be straight, tons of variables to look at.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What do you guys think of swapping a arms from side to side in rear (left on right side and right side on left)? It looks like stock the a arms bend towards the front of the atv? This would make the wheelbase longer and accomidate bigger tires with no rubbing?
Though a very provocative idea, I believe the XP's have a rolled rear suspension. Meaning as the rear arms travel up they also pivot back some lessening the blunt strike effects of objects. Without looking to see how this is achieved I would suspect you would be reversing this roll as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
I would have to agree with the others. I really don't believe it would be as simple as just swapping the a-arms to the other side. Guess you could give it a shot and let us know... A 2" lift might be a better option for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I might try it in the next couple of days. I need to study it some more first. I really dont want to do lift because I know were that will lead to for me(6in catvos at 32.5 ol2). Starts off as a small 2 in lift then next thing its just a mudder and I dont want to do that this time....lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts