Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have seen my other posts, I have a 15 Sportsman ETX that I've been having problems with. At this point I have little faith that any one can figure out the problem and the fix. So I am thinking on trading it in for something else. I've found a 450 for $4297 and a 570 for $4998, both out-the-door prices with "no hidden fees".

I rode with a guy this weekend at my friend's house who took his 450 in to get it repaired and ended up trading it in for a camo 570. I was absolutely blown away when he told me they gave him $3500 for a 17 (base model) 450 with messed up plastics and a overheating problem that kept it from running.

I know it's dependent on the dealer, but is this indicative of what I could expect on a '15 ETX? I just have this feeling that they're going to try fix the game. If I got the 450 for $4300 and even if I only got $3000 for the ETX, that only leaves me with $1300 for the new 450. I get this feeling that they'll try to adjust my trade-in value on the price of what I'm buying and not my actual value. So in other words if I was buying a $10,000 ATV they might give me $3500, but only buying a $4300 ATV they might try to tell me they'll give me $800 or some crap.

What have been your experiences with trade-ins?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
doesn't matter where u live, on trade ins they always got you by the balls, unless its a desired model or your trading up to something alot more expensive.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your always going to do better selling outright then trading. Some people just don't want the hassle of dealing with people, adds, etc. Also in my opinion for only 700 more the 570 is a no brainer, when I bought mine they had better/bigger tires and the engine HP was noticeably more, even though it was basically the same sized engine just a different tune. That was in 2016/2017 when I was researching, not sure if that is the same case now.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
So trading in is a losing proposition!!! But sometimes it's a necessary evil!!! If a good deal can be worked out I think it serves all parties equitably. Also wanted to add that the 570 is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I'd go the 570 route also if it was me trading. I've been down that road before people saying oh man go to so&so dealership you'll get the very best deal there,it's like they are giving them away. I tried that a few years ago when buying my Dodge Cummins and I never could make a deal with that particular dealership people was praising so much. In fact they really pissed me off at that dealership. :grin

Actually 80% of the people that's looking for a new vehicle don't give a damn what the price is, it's well can you get my monthly payment to this price and then we have a deal. Salesman really get off on those type people. I believe that's why vehicle's the days are out of site price wise.:eek

Back is fall of 2000 I was going to buy a new 2001 Honda Rancher ATV and the first place I went to a Honda dealership they had what I was wanting, but they was selling them at MSRP price and I ask the salesman what can you sell me this ATV for price wise cash money out the door? He was kind of a cocky salesman and said that price you see there on the sticker. I said that's MSRP price and he said yeah I can sell them all day long for that price no sweat,I said that's wonderful, but you won't be selling it to me for that price I'm out of here. The next day I had my Honda Rancher from a different Honda dealership a lot cheaper than the MSRP.

Be sure and shop around for the best deal if you are going the trade in route. :wink

Tony

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I view "Trade-In's" as an easy way to "Walk-Away"! Sure, you may get a slightly lesser value than you may have hoped for vs. retail, but you don't have all the "tire kickers" hassle and payment issues or worries (with anything other than cash!).

As for the wheeler.... I'd shoot straight for the 570. Then the day comes to replace my 800, I've been thinking either the 570 or 850. We have the 570 in our RZR and it is a "capable" little machine... that's never given us any issues beyond maintenance & needing a new battery.

Good Luck on your deal(s)!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I view "Trade-In's" as an easy way to "Walk-Away"! Sure, you may get a slightly lesser value than you may have hoped for vs. retail, but you don't have all the "tire kickers" hassle and payment issues or worries (with anything other than cash!).

As for the wheeler.... I'd shoot straight for the 570. Then the day comes to replace my 800, I've been thinking either the 570 or 850. We have the 570 in our RZR and it is a "capable" little machine... that's never given us any issues beyond maintenance & needing a new battery.

Good Luck on your deal(s)!!

You finance people. You're far more trusting than I.
Buyers pay cash or hit the road...

Everything I sell has the finest Arkansas guarantee available. It runs and drives now. The buyer evaluates it and negotiates accordingly.

When the buyer signs the bill of sale and hands me the cash it's theirs. It's AS-IS. The notarized BILL OF SALE says AS IS and I make them initial it right next to the AS IS in front of the notary.
I've had a couple people blow stuff up from abuse, or just old age, and try to extort me with a threatening letter from a lawyer. It was running when it left and I don't guarantee anything. I had my own attorney mail a Notarized copy of the AS IS bill of sale with the client's signature and that was the end of it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer called me today. He said he'd give me $1850 for my ETX (which seems low). But then it gets more confusing after getting off the phone. He told me $79 a month for 60 months. That comes out to $4740. The ATV is $4300. Minus the $1850 for mine is $2450. How is it I'm paying $2250 in interest? I'm calling back tomorrow because something is not right.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a place with a used 2016 Sportsman 570 orange burst for about $5700. My son likes orange, and I think he'd really like it. I don't know about a used machine though.

I also found a place selling a new 2018 Can Am Outlander 570 with EPS for $5900 that's also orange. I'd kind of rather get that but he says he's not fond of the looks of the front end of Can Ams.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I found a place with a used 2016 Sportsman 570 orange burst for about $5700. My son likes orange, and I think he'd really like it. I don't know about a used machine though.

I also found a place selling a new 2018 Can Am Outlander 570 with EPS for $5900 that's also orange. I'd kind of rather get that but he says he's not fond of the looks of the front end of Can Ams.
A friend last Spring paid $6200.00 for brand new 2019 570. $5700 for used seems way too high for used 2016. In 2017 I paid $5400 for mine new. I agree with your kid on Can-Am front end look!

·
Registered
316 Posts

I haven't looked at new prices lately but I bough a new 2016 570 in orange and paid less then 5700 for it new. I can't remember exactly but it was around 5200 or something but it was just under 5900 OTD and that was with a Polaris winch. It was a base model, no power steering etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts