Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does anyone ever think about worst case scenario accidents when your out riding and enjoying the outdoors? I know I do everytime i start the motor up. How many of you know Basic First Aid? How many Know CPR? Would you know how to get one of your friends out of a deep forest or mountainous trail? Statistics for injury cause by ATV Misuse has skyrocketed the past few years. but this isn't what Im talking about. Im talking about being prepared for something to happen. Would you know what to do and get it done? As ATV Enthuisasts we should have a basic medical knowledge in our heads of HOW its going to happen instead of WHEN its going to happen,l because trust me it never fails to happen at the worst possible time and place.

my name is tom weber i have been involved fire/rescue for the past 6 years and ems for the past 3 years. i saw this post on another forum and had to post it on here. I think we should take a step forward to make atv'ing a safer sport for our family and friends by carrying a few medical supplies and taking a basic first aid course and cpr.

i personally never thought of carrying medical equipment on my quad or the tools to help rescue a fellow rider like maybe a hatchet, small tarp or something to lift a injured rider and keep them stable, and some rope or webbing.

anybody with more knowledge or that would like to help by adding their $.02 is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
using the technology we have today, a GPS with the ranger forest stations plugged into before hand so you can find your way there fast, and a flare gun. i believe 3 flares in rapid succession is an international distress sign for anyone around. 3 gunshots can also be used.

another nice thing about GPS is it will also give you exact coordinates to your location, and it will also show you the nearest house incase you need to get there to call for help or something of that line

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
CPR is one thing, but trama is what you more likely what you'll have to face. We carry a First aid kit, and were both RN's CCU and ER nurses. But if I have a "heart attack" not much one can do, but try to activate the EMS system and meet them at the trail head, but so far out and only limited equiptment, not a good outcome to be had. One man CPR can only "hold you over" for just a short time, I guess if I was packing a AED with me, that would be a more help for that. But being calm and having a fairly big first aid kit, stabilize the victim in a case of trama and get them to help is about all one can do. Of course the more with you the better, but my wife and I go mostly by ourselfs!:shock:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And most people are more than happy to have the wifey and I along for the ride. More peace of mind I guess!:thinking:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
How often does anyone ever think about worst case scenario accidents when your out riding and enjoying the outdoors? I know I do everytime i start the motor up. How many of you know Basic First Aid? How many Know CPR? Would you know how to get one of your friends out of a deep forest or mountainous trail? Statistics for injury cause by ATV Misuse has skyrocketed the past few years. but this isn't what Im talking about. Im talking about being prepared for something to happen. Would you know what to do and get it done? As ATV Enthuisasts we should have a basic medical knowledge in our heads of HOW its going to happen instead of WHEN its going to happen,l because trust me it never fails to happen at the worst possible time and place.

my name is tom weber i have been involved fire/rescue for the past 6 years and ems for the past 3 years. i saw this post on another forum and had to post it on here. I think we should take a step forward to make atv'ing a safer sport for our family and friends by carrying a few medical supplies and taking a basic first aid course and cpr.

i personally never thought of carrying medical equipment on my quad or the tools to help rescue a fellow rider like maybe a hatchet, small tarp or something to lift a injured rider and keep them stable, and some rope or webbing.

anybody with more knowledge or that would like to help by adding their $.02 is greatly appreciated.
i agree with what you said thomas i myself am a volunteer firefighter/emt for 11 years I carry a jump kit on my fourwheeler at all times. its basic but it will get you the time you need to get out of the woods, I always make sure to have my cell with me even in the woods you can still get a signal in certain areas with a cell .

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is a good start guys. i think we should could toss some ideas out on trail medical methods. i am making a medical/rescue bag for my quad. for the rescue end i want a small tarp to use as a stretcher or to lift a fellow rider. a hatchet to cut limbs to make a splint. duct tape can be used to help immobilize with limbs. or old straps. webbing and old sheets can be made into a sling.

these are a few ideas i have had. as i think of more i will post them

·
Registered
280 Posts
I see all of you guys who are RN or EMT's making a short booklet on first aid I have had a saftey course at work but haven't had the need to ever use it "thank God". What would be a good "kit" to take, were to take a refresher course. Good post it's something that is never thought of until you need it. We need your help.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as far as getting a first aid kit it doesn't have to be elaborate. what is the point of having all that stuff if you have no clue how to properly use it. i found one from zee medical http://www.zeemedical.com/zeemedical/NewZee/Catalog2005/index.jsp?WebLogicSession=S7ZQZlb1LwZjZ5F4Nx1zN9Vix0p3CHiHYqpmAmwyG75JIl8nXPZP|-7518646005612478850/167897361/6/6024/6024/6036/6036/6024/-1 for under $25 which would suffise for most injuries until further attention is available or until the ambulance arrives. but you can always add tools to help with extraction of a fellow rider. i carry a hatchet type tool for cutting down limbs to make a splint and use either duct tape or two old ratchet straps to secure the splints. i had a old tarp laying around that i cut into a 4x8 sheet to use to carry a person if they cannot walk. i also have sling in my kit.
as far as finding a refresher course on your first aid class talk to your local fire company they would be able to point you on the right direction

1 - 8 of 8 Posts