Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99' Polaris Xplorer 400 4X4 that was running well until one day it stopped mid-ride and I can't get it started again...

When it stopped I tried and tried right after and it kept getting weaker and weaker, like the battery was dead. I charged the battery, no luck. Went to advance and they tested the battery and said it was bad. I bought a new battery connected everything back up and immediately the wires started getting hot with the new battery connected, started melting and smoking. They were hot on both the positive and negative side (too hot to touch). The wire coming from the starter solenoid to the starter was melting.

I ended up testing the solenoid, which was no longer clicking, to see if it was bad and it turns out it was. My new solenoid is on its way. I am going to try that with the new battery.

Any other thoughts/suggestions I should try?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,457 Posts
If the starter motor wire was getting hot and the starter motor was not running, you need a new starter too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New wiring too to the starter or just the starter? I assume my newly purchased battery wouldn't cause that wire to melt/smoke?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,457 Posts
Depends on how hot the wire got. If the copper strands of the wire got red hot, there will be black oxidation on the outside of the copper wires - this does not destroy the wire, but it increases the resistance to the flow of current. Current does not flow through a wire, bit flows on the outside of the wire - old oxidized wire gets hot in use because of the flow of current is restricted by the oxidation (dirt) on the wire. Typically the wire is larger than the minimum required size to allow for the increased resistance as the wire ages, but a wire that gets overheated 'ages' more rapidly. If the insulation got hot and smoked a bit, it's not hurt - it the wire got hot enough that the insulation melted into the wire and the outside surface of the insulation is blistered, then the wire should be replaced also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, appreciate it. I am going to add solenoid and battery tomorrow and start there. If not luck, I'll move to the starter.

Does it matter which pole on the solenoid the starter and positive from the battery connect to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,457 Posts
No - but customarily the battery is connected to the terminal closest to the battery and the starter wire to the terminal closest to the starter - you can invert them and it will not affect operation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,457 Posts
Do you have lights? And at least the wires are not getting hot right? First verify the battery is charged and not damaged from massive discharge, then start chasing power. Do you have power to the key switch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it to attempt to turn over today. Now onto the spark plug and/or carb. Spark plug is dark with what appears to be oil on it. Carb has never been cleaned that I know of.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top