Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wiggle: I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 4x4 that I just bought a month ago with only 400 miles on it.

Yesterday I had 4 new Maxxis Biirhorn 1s put on because of a 1" diameter stob in my factory RR tire.

:1zhelp: I removed the seat to check my air filter & I noticed that the Rear Fender Assembly is broken on both sides. It's where the very top/front bolts fasten the fender to the frame. The exhaust runs right under the right side, it has a silver heat shield on the bottom/back side. The small bolts are only holding a small corner of the plastic fenders down to the frame & it's cracked all the way thru around these bolts.

:wtf1: This problem is causing the front of my seat to sag down leaving a large gap where the front of the seat goes up on the gas tank. Also the right side plate doesn't fit right at all & the push thru plastic stud on the right side plate won't match up with the hole in the rear fender assembly, thus causing the groove around the top of the right-sideplate to not fit tightly around the top. It just sorta hangs there, but it hasn't fallen off, YET. My four-wheeler has never been wrecked or even ridden thru any mud or brush. There not a scratch on it anywhere & as of right now, I has about 600 miles on it.

Is there anyway I can fix these small cracks on each side.without having to buy a whole new rear fender assembly??? I really don't see why a new fender assembly wouldn't crack also.

I need all the suggestions & ideas I can get. It seems to me that there would be some sort of plastic repair & some way of bracing it up to solve this problem.

If I need to post some pictures, I'll try. I've never posted any pictures before.

Thanks in advance for any replies I recieve.[/SIZE]

·
Registered
248 Posts
JB weld. Friend of mine rolled his 09 sportsman and cracked the bottoms of the front storage box. He bought a bunch of JB weld and put it back together.

·
Registered
127 Posts
did you try automotive goop?

·
Registered
203 Posts
i broke my front storage box when i flipped it the orther day itook a buetane torch and a plastic milk crate cut off some stragit pices melted the plastic and mended them together worked great nice and solid dont matter what the color is you wont see it under the seat i filled in large open cracks also use a puddy knife and heat it up with the torch and mend the plastic together i fixed the left hinge and the top lid could not afford a new one

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
I bought a rolled 08 500 efi and it had cracks on every fender and the instrument pod was broke up. I drilled small holes at the end of every crack that didn't go all the way to an edge to stop it from cracking more. I then drilled small holes along the cracks and sowed them up with small black zip ties. I used larger zip ties to stitch the instrument pod together and even stitched 2 broken tabs under the seat and one of the head light tabs back together. The zip ties cinch tight and make strong connections. If one breaks just replace it. I carry a few extra with me on the machine but have yet to have to replace one. My machine was a Browning addition with the camo plastics so when you step back 5 feet you cant even see the black ties. They blend in. The head light and pod are tight and are holding strong. Turned out better than I could have hoped for from a totaled rig from an insurance auction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I maid small strips of aluminium bent them the same and bolted them to the frame where they were and used small bolts an drilled them thro the plastic and bolted them bors fine no give at all ben that way for about 2 yrs now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
plastic weld works good as well I think I got mine from Walmart used it to fix a broken hand guard mount and is very strong. Is there any room to put a big washer to spread the load over more area of the plastic?

·
12,267 Posts
I had exact same problem on an 06 800. I cut some sheet metal with knippers from some old HVAC duct for backers under the tabs and riveted under the plastic.
If your seat is sagging check the seat pan...mine was cracked!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts