Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this topic belongs here but here is my question.
Can I put longer metric thread studs on my 1999 sportsman 500 in place of the standard thread OEM studs?

Im switching to alum rims and was sent 10mm X 1.25 metric lug nuts with the rims. I know I need longer studs anyways going from OEM steel rims to alum rims, so I was wanting to just get the correct metric thread studs, but longer, for the new rims/lugs.
My biggest concern is Im just not sure if the studs will fit properly threw the hub assembly holes.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
That sounds like a valid concern. Honestly I don't know if that would work or not. Could be that the metric studs wouldn't fit into the hub hole all the way, in which case you could drill the hub out a little. Could be that the studs would be too small and not grip the hub properly so that they just spin when you try to torque the lugs. If that happened you could put some JB weld on them and let it cure, or just actually weld them in. JB weld was what I ended up using for the one stud that I stripped the hub on.
One way or another it seems like an awful gamble for saving $15-20. A new set of recesses lugs can be found pretty cheap and then when you get the new studs you can get ones you know will fit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea im not going to mess around with mods to change the hub holes or need to use jb weld. If i cant find a metric stud that will work like OEM then I will just eat the metric lugs n get whats right. Though thanks for the replies!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.194254,-72.408647

1 - 3 of 3 Posts