Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding the ORV trails in Michigan for decades, mostly on dirt bikes, but in recent years there have been strides to widen them for quad and side x side use... With that said, they currently have over 3,800 miles of ORV trails and routes available, and just about all of the counties in northern Michigan above Saginaw, MI have legal riding on the shoulder of county roads with permit (under 25 mph) to get from one trail system to another and to travel into towns for gas, supplies, and lodging (check before riding).
A State bill was recently passed to add riding on State Forest roads starting in 2017, which is a plus to adding more options to where you want to explore.
If you never been to Michigan, there has never been a better time to see the Great Lake State from the saddle of your ATV.
DNR - ORV/ATV
Yes, I'm bias to our trail system, but the positive results throughout the years has evolved into an experience all can enjoy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I concur. I am the president of one on the ORV clubs in Michigan that maintain the trails. Our club is the ATV Offroad Club of Michigan. We maintain the Black Lake trails and route, Red Bridge Trail and route, Bummers Roost trails, and the MCCCT from Indian River to Atlanta. A couple of our other trail members maintain the Leota trails and the new short route there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I concur. I am the president of one on the ORV clubs in Michigan that maintain the trails. Our club is the ATV Offroad Club of Michigan. We maintain the Black Lake trails and route, Red Bridge Trail and route, Bummers Roost trails, and the MCCCT from Indian River to Atlanta. A couple of our other trail members maintain the Leota trails and the new short route there.
Hello, Very green to quading......just picked up my first one yesterday.....question, are snowmobile trails legal to ride on? I'm near Glennie, when I plan on riding......thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to meet you, thanks for all you do to maintain the trails, that's quite a few! My first experience at what's involved to maintaining the trails was in 2002, when myself a few riding buddies joined the Genesee Valley Trail Riders club, the trails they maintained was Mio & Hunt Creek, plus the connector trail up to Atlanta (my buddies and I covered the connector trail), until the club dissolved later that decade. One of my fondest memories was when our club was responsible for marking the Black Lake and Bummers Roost area for the annual Six Days of Michigan, I believe it was in 2006, awesome trails.
There obviously has been many changes since then, to which I'll say thanks again to you and all the clubs that maintain the trails!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Deweydaddy, congrat's on the new touring quad! Here is a link that explains the trails which are open for ATV riding; DNR - Where to ride
You will first have to purchase an ORV License and also an ORV Trail Permit; DNR - ORV License Structure FAQs
Also, if you would like to support the grassroots behind the wonderful ORV trail systems we have here in Michigan, you can become a member of the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan; The Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan They have events which include ATV's as well.
Glennie is a beautiful area, riding the Bull Gap ORV trails and Huron Trail would be a great way to break in your new machine (however, you'll have to wait for the firearm deer season to end, December 1st the trails will be open again). Happy Trails!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Deweydaddy, congrat's on the new touring quad! Here is a link that explains the trails which are open for ATV riding; DNR - Where to ride
You will first have to purchase an ORV License and also an ORV Trail Permit; DNR - ORV License Structure FAQs
Also, if you would like to support the grassroots behind the wonderful ORV trail systems we have here in Michigan, you can become a member of the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan; The Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan They have events which include ATV's as well.
Glennie is a beautiful area, riding the Bull Gap ORV trails and Huron Trail would be a great way to break in your new machine (however, you'll have to wait for the firearm deer season to end, December 1st the trails will be open again). Happy Trails!
Thanks, I'll read it later......just came in from the garage....feel like a kid again!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Always good to hear positive comments about the Michigan ORV trail system. Michigan has many great trails, roadways and two tracks to venture out on. Go north of the bridge and you'll find a even wider range of adventures. I appreciate all the work and information the the clubs do and offer, they do a great job.

It would be nice to see some public trails for quads and SxS in the southwestern or south eastern area's. Currently the Baldwin area is the closest point of riding for us south of that area. State forest roads will be opened in coming years through out Michigan, but it will still be up to the local townships to approve what is legal or not. I find all to often when riding that many approved roads will be open but then you find yourself on a road to no where and all of a sudden it's posted closed. Coming to a T intersection and you have to turn around because left or right is not legal is very frustrating and confusing at the same time.

Michigan is a great place to ride thanks to money, Pure Michigan and social media but rider beware.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Been a big snowmobiler for years. getting into atv riding to. Have not rode in two years now, just to busy. I have rode eastern U.P. on atv and all over the state on snowmobile. Atv riding is a little tricking and a map of where you can ride is a good thing to have. Good to here more areas and rodes are open to atv's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in northwest Indiana and I'm always looking for some new trails. What would be a good trail to try out that's reasonable close. 2 maybe 3 hours from southwest Michigan Indiana border

·
Registered
61 Posts
To my knowledge the Baldwin area is the closest public area to legally ride, check the MI DNR page for trail names in that area. From the Kalamazoo area it's about 2.5 - 3 hours away, but very doable for a single day run. There's 5 trail systems in that area that are connected. Weekends are usually very busy with SxS, cycles, quads and occasional jeep or truck. There is even a ORV friendly camp ground in Carrieville on the trail system. I personally don't care for this area because it is so busy but it is a nice system.

If you travel one more hour north to the Kalkaska system you'll find a much larger area to ride and easily spend a entire weekend and not come close riding anything twice. Once you get on the Kalkaska system you can hook up to several other trail systems either via trails or county roads. Having a good map, GPS and compass are recommended.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
was riding the trails this past weekend from Houghton lk. to Kalkaska . And the trails are going back to mud. ( thank you ). Anyway came across a groomed snowmobile trail sign. Groomed trail from Dec. 1 thru march 31. Now, right above that had a Orv trail red triangle. ???? Then on the pole on other side had a no wheeled vehicles sign. WTH? So i guess my question is can you be on a trail groomed trail but is still marked for orv's

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know that there are quite a few spots where you do have to ride on the snowmobile trails for a bit and it is completely legal in the summer as long as it is marked with the ORV trial or route triangles. I imagine it is the same for in the winter, but I am not positive on that. Might be a good question to ask the DNR or the guys on here that are club members and groomers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As far as I know riding your quad or SXS is available year round as long as the road or trail you're on is marked for ORV use groomed or not. You may get some funny looks from the snowmobilers riding on "their" groomed trails. Trails in MI are groomed by clubs or by the DNR. But it is not uncommon to be riding on a trail or road and see a sign in the direction of travel to be legal, but then over your shoulder you see a "No ORV" sign. This is very frustrating for us riders and the law says rider beware. There are some areas in the Houghton Lake area that do this. Also there are some wetland area's that are closed to ORV's in the summer but are open to snowmobiles in the winter because everything is suppose to be frozen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm actually heading up to the St. Helen area at the end of march and Mio a few weeks later, I would recommend the St.Helen area, they have some nice trails that aren't in rough shape and are still fun to ride and I don't believe have many snowmobile only signs and haven't had any issues when running into the DNR.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If your looking for a long day ride try going from St. Helens to Leota. We're looking to do that trip mid April and hopefully the spring thaw will be on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im from K'zoo as well....... small world. Me and my friends do alot of "quadding" here in Michigan, Love it. Weve done Atlanta, little manistee and its tributaries, black lake(super cool),st. helen and leota. Gonna do leetsville and fredreic in the middle of May. I love this crap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The is a small trail system in White Cloud south of Baldwin Mi, it is OK but we prefer to go further north. Just past Baldwin is the very small town of Irons, we stay at https://local.yahoo.com/info-46339572-irons-rv-park-campground-irons?stx=campground&csz=Irons, MI&fr=lsrp It is very clean and pretty affordable with a nice pool. I believe a full hook up was $35.

We have ridden part of the Atlanta system and liked it better than the Black Lake Trail. Later this Spring I want to head to the Upper Peninsula to try the State Line Trail.

The Michigan DNR website features trail maps but I like this site better Michigan ORV Trails you can see satellite and map views of the trails and it is easier to navigate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats some pretty good info thanks. My wife and I have ridden the Haywire trail. My wife caught a railroad spike ( shot from front tire punctured rear tire)on the 850, made me a little aprehensive about UP trails. Didnt put much thought into the fact they were old railroad beds. We survived to ride another day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I couldn't find the Haywire trail on the site I posted but it and many other Upper Peninsula trails are here UP Trails | Hannahville Learn and Serve

Railroad spike had to suck, I got Quadboss Tire Sealant for Christmas, it is said to be good stuff but damn that must have been a huge hole.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts