Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a 1991 Polaris 250 trail boss. Heres the issue. Under the shift lever there are buttons that get pushed in when lever is in low or high. Even though there is 4x4 switch up top by throttle these button i believe are for the 4x4 also. When these buttons are pushed in the engine will misfire. I discovered this because when I was riding around the engine was misfiring so while Still in gear i pushed the lever outward to the right which disengaged the buttons and the engine ran fine. Sometimes the engine will work fine and other times I have this issue. When the issue is happening it won't even start in low or high when the buttons are pushed and will start in neutral where there is no button. I'm not quite sure how these two buttons which I believe are for the 4 x 4 affect the engine misfire. Everything else on the quad works fine the reverse override works perfectly etc. I was thinking I might have a short somewhere. When I trace the wires from the two buttons by the shift lever down they go down near the airbox into two plugs that go into the transmission i believe. Today it ran fine for 15 or 20 minutes and then when I started it up later on it had this issue. Help

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would have to say it is the switch on the transmission. Not an expert though. I will look at both my 4x4 and 2x4 in the morning and let you know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts