Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 sportsman 800 efi. Went out today and it started missing. idles ok and when I gas it it usually takes off but sometimes it will miss and give a small back fire. It does it at all rpms. I can let off the throttle and get back into it and it will clear up then do it again. It does it at wide open high speeds and just taking off. I unscrewed the gas cap to make sure it wasn't vapor locking. Where do I look next? Has new plugs and fresh oil.

sent from a locomotive driving ass hole.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im sure others will know, but i had a Polaris snowmobile with efi that did that and it was because the battery was going bad. Could check battery and charging.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm good to know. I do know it cranks over fine but I'll check the voltage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmmm thought about that but I figured if that was it it wouldn't be so sporadic... guess I could put more fresh gas in.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
tps sensor wiring? they are known to go bad, there is a replacement kit on e-bay with better wires than oem kits.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did that already. It got rid of the check engine light. It's not throwing any codes now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would check your owners manual for a gas drain.My 400 Sportsman had similar problems. Located a carburetor drain and drained out a bunch of water. Water being heavier than gas will settle to the lowest point.Just my .02 sents worth, Ken

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah this is true. I'd assume on these efi models it's just a matter of draining the tank. I got a new fuel filter for it too so I'll drain it then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I don't have a manual. I'll have to download one.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a manual. I'll have to download one.

Ebay has a Clymer manual for $35 for your machine. Look for Sixity they are selling them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just had a friend that was experiencing something similar. A service Tec told him to open up his throttle assembly and he said there's a safety switch in there that was dirty. He cleaned it up and problem went away.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that turns out to be the problem I'm buying you a beer. Somehow...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I cleaned the throttle body today no and adjusted and tested the tps. No change. It still cuts out completely then fires back up as if nothing was wrong. Sometimes it backfires which means fuel loading up.... it has new plugs. Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I cleaned the throttle body today no and adjusted and tested the tps. No change. It still cuts out completely then fires back up as if nothing was wrong. Sometimes it backfires which means fuel loading up.... it has new plugs. Where do I go from here?

Sir a backfire is the sign of a lean running condition. Their was not enough gas in the cylinder to fire but enough in the exhaust system to be ignited buy the flame from the cylinder.You sound as if you think it is flooding butt I will make a bet the engine is starving for fuel. Ken

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's cutting out completely like it's maybe losing spark for a second.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I will stick to my guns and say it is a fuel supply issue. With the key on can you hear the fuel pump running?If not I would check the fuse and see if you are getting power to the pump.Gas line pinched or kinked?When was the gas filter last changed? Hang in their we will get it!!! With the key ON you should have power to the pump.Could be a fuel pressure regulator but lets not jump the gun, Ken

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I can hear the pump priming every time I turn the key on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts