Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
It's kind of sad. ATV's are becoming a thing of the past out in Moab. Just got home yesterday after four full days of riding. I bet we saw fewer than 10 ATV's the entire time. My first time out there in '08 it was atv's and jeeps. The RZR 800 was a new machine in '08 and there just weren't that many of them around yet. This was my second time out there that I wasn't on my atv myself. Todays side by sides have taken a whole lot of the challenge out of slick rock riding. Not saying there aren't still some challenges out there, but the skill level required to ride many of the trails is way lower.
All that being said, it is still a kick ass place to go ride and have a good time. Here is a link to my pictures and videos. Not a ton of pictures, but after you have been there so many times, it's rather redundant to keep taking pictures of the same things over and over...馃槃

Moab Pictures and Videos

Reactions: FPD218

Premium Member
Some day...
I know you are going to organize a Moab trip for us forum members?

Maybe a celebration of bp405 rebuilt 800 first ride?

Premium Member
What happened to the right rear wheel on the RZR?
Looks like the brake caliper zip tied up and a bent rotor?

Reactions: nickr

Premium Member
Some day...

Now that sounds like it would be EPIC!! 馃榿

When I go back out west I want a 4-seater RZR and I'm bringing the Touring.

Registered
Its the same at H&M. Theres still atvs but seems to be more SxS's.This last trip Id say it was 4 to1 (SXS / ATVs) Makes for some tight trails

Premium Member
Its the same at H&M. Theres still atvs but seems to be more SxS's.This last trip Id say it was 4 to1 (SXS / ATVs) Makes for some tight trails
Oh man don't get me started. Seriously the clowns out on the HMTs this year was at a all time high. HMT isn't SxS territory if you ask me. That and most of those knuckle heads don't know the rules of the trails or have manners. Plus since the trails are tight with switch backs the SxSs are soooooo f'ing slow!!!!

Registered
Oh man don't get me started. Seriously the clowns out on the HMTs this year was at a all time high. HMT isn't SxS territory if you ask me. That and most of those knuckle heads don't know the rules of the trails or have manners. Plus since the trails are tight with switch backs the SxSs are soooooo f'ing slow!!!!
Now I thought completely the opposite,,,Id say 1 out of 15 was a knucklehead. The SXS always pulled over when their lead guy knew we were there.But as you know ,trying to find a pullover for 10 SXS's can take a you to the next trail :rolleyes:

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
What happened to the right rear wheel on the RZR?
Looks like the brake caliper zip tied up and a bent rotor?
Thinking he didn't have the lugs properly torqued. It came loose on the trail. We stopped many times to tighten it because it kept coming loose. On the road between Fins n Things and Hells Revenge, all four studs broke, and his rear tire passed him. Took the caliper off to get it loaded into the trailer. The rotor was bent all to hell, and didn't want to damage the caliper with it. Ended up having to replace the hub, rotor, brake pads, studs and lug nuts as well as having to put the spare tire on because it tore up the holes in the wheel as well. We were very fortunate it happened on the road and not back on the trail somewhere.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #9
Some day...

Only problem with that idea is that 5 machines is all I would have in one group out there, assuming all five are fairly skilled riders. Just takes too long to do a trail out there if you have to many in a group. I think four is the perfect size group, five max. Just to many obstacles to work everyone past with a large group.

Premium Member
Now I thought completely the opposite,,,Id say 1 out of 15 was a knucklehead. The SXS always pulled over when their lead guy knew we were there.But as you know ,trying to find a pullover for 10 SXS's can take a you to the next trail :rolleyes:

You are correct the lead SxS guy was usually decent and knew what the deal was. But when a guy throws up 馃枑 and the rest of the group is either 鉁, 馃憤, or 馃憢 it makes it hard to know what's coming. The 10 days of riding I did down there so far this year the SxS guys were the worst I've ever seen!! But it's because most of them are new to it all and then there are the one's in rentals.

Hey I'll tell you something mind blowing at least to me. One of our guys rad fan took a dump on him half way into his day one. Well we ended up hooking up with the WV Troopers and leaving his wheeler at the barracks while we rode back to the ponderosa so he could grab the truck and trailer to retrieve his broken canned ham. Well anyway the Troopers were telling us there is one death per week on the HMT system. I was blown away by that. The numbers I had previously heard from the Sheriff's we are friendly with down there is there is a death approximately every month on the system. So it's getting a bit more dangerous down there for sure!!! Fallowing the sh!t show which is "Ride the Wilds" up in NH those tards are really making a mess of the trails up there. Between the spike in accidents, going off trail and pissing the land owners off to the point they are pulling access to their property, to the weekend warriors renting machines and wrecking them in ways I can't wrap my head around. Well all I can say is gentlemen be vigilant out there cause it is getting spicy out in the trail!!!

Premium Member
On our July trip this year to HMT we came across an active fatal accident investigation where a ATV went off the edge.

Eating lunch the next day there were rescue people next to us and they told us the accident we came across was the 3rd fatal they had that week.

Reactions: nickr and jaker

Premium Member
2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Touring
Grim. People riding beyond their skill, or sketchy trails?
(Clearly, I've never been...)

Premium Member
Speed, alcohol, and the I don't give a sh!t attitude are major factors.

Premium Member
I'll tell you what HMT is NOT for the novice!!! Even the "green" trails get serious at points!! Every newbie that comes down with us is spoken to be multiple riders and and the better riders take the newbies to the side and break it down to them. The sentiment that is reiterated over and over is dont try and keep up with the lead guys and dont get comfortable!!! we have had guys go off the edge and by Gods grace landed in a tree that broke his 60' fall and most recently a guy broke his back in 2018 with us. Thats not accounting for the countless rollovers and getting thrown offs we have had over the years. Just this last trip one of the newer riders that can wheel the sh!t out of a machine actually hung back one day cause he saw his life flash before him. He had himself heading back wards down a steep decent sliding in the mud toward the edge of the mountain. Again trying to pace the lead guys.

Getting back to MOAB I can't wait to go back out. I wont go back unless I have a RZR I just feel there is to much to experience not to have one out there. But the preferred machine is an ATV and the 570-T will work not only at Moab best but Paiute as well. Hopefully Colorado can be worked into the trip as well but I feel it will take another week to explore Colorado and taking 3 weeks away from home isn't a luxury most of the guys I wheel with can do right now.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #15
Getting back to MOAB I can't wait to go back out. I wont go back unless I have a RZR I just feel there is to much to experience not to have one out there. But the preferred machine is an ATV and the 570-T will work not only at Moab best but Paiute as well. Hopefully Colorado can be worked into the trip as well but I feel it will take another week to explore Colorado and taking 3 weeks away from home isn't a luxury most of the guys I wheel with can do right now.
I was nothing short of amazed at how well our 570-T's worked out in Moab. The extra wheel base, and the balance of the machine just works.
I really can't say if I enjoy the atv over the side by side, or vise versa when out in Moab. The atv takes more skill to handle the trails out there, but the KRX is a much more relaxing way to take it all in. The SxS is much more capable of tackling more obstacles and steep climbs with no assistance, where you need a buddy or two with a rope to do the same obstacles on an atv. However, the whole buddy system adds to the experience and fun.
My wife got to experience the Trifecta (Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim) this trip out in the KRX, which she would never have done on her atv. Just not a series of trails she would have done on her atv. I've done it 2-3 times on my atv, and it is a full day of hard riding with challenges around every bend. At the end of the day you don't want any more.

Reactions: RoyR80
1 - 15 of 15 Posts