Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another year, another great spring Moab trip. Guys trip this year. Weather was perfect, 73-85 degrees four the 4 days we were riding. Definitely different this year being in the General, but still a great time. There were some things I liked better with the General, and some things I would rather be doing on my 570 T.
Since I was the trail leader 3 1/2 days of the four, I took most of the video. Guess someone had to show the others how it was done... :grin It was Jerry's first time in Moab (rzr with the flags on it) so he was fairly cautious on the more difficult obstacles. I think I spooked him a bit when I attempted the 50/50 obstacle in The Pickle without even a rope on the front. Got a little dicey. Ended up throwing out the rope. He pulled up to it and went straight for his winch. A good call on his part. That's one of the spots that was easier on my atv.
Pictures and videos in the link below.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ANkpEapsCBF4sFtE3

Attachments

Reactions: Ransom Proctor

·
Registered
428 Posts
Looks like a good time!

·
Super Moderator
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's some awesome looking country out there Bob. I've got to get my crew interested and your pics just might do it.
It would be a long drive, but there is nothing like it anywhere else in the world. It should be a bucket list destination for anyone who loves to 4 wheel, hike, bike and rock climb. I've met folks folks from all over the USA, and many from Canada, out in Moab.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Great pictures Bob. I'm interested to hear what you liked better about a side by side vs an atv and then what you didn't like? I ride both as well, and if riding alone I definitely prefer an atv (especially on tight trails). With the family on wider less technical trails I prefer the side by side.

·
Super Moderator
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great pictures Bob. I'm interested to hear what you liked better about a side by side vs an atv and then what you didn't like? I ride both as well, and if riding alone I definitely prefer an atv (especially on tight trails). With the family on wider less technical trails I prefer the side by side.
The SxS with the longer and wider wheel base was much more stable feeling on some of the more technical obstacles. Also able to climb much steeper trails comfortably. Where Eagles Dare is a trail I likely wouldn't have done on an atv. Crossing the Golden Crack was another obstacle I crossed without difficulty, something atv's just don't do without going down to the big rock to get across.
The down sides. Being an overall bigger machine, I had to drive over things that I had ridden around when on the atv. It's hard to see what is directly in front of you, and topping climbs is an adventure because you are blind to what is on the other side. It also removed the pucker factor climbing Kenny's Climb and the Launch Pad, as well as a couple others that I either wouldn't climb, or had spotters on. Kind missed that rush you get by doing some of those on an atv.
Overall, I kind of feel the SxS is better suited for Moab than an atv, and riding an atv out there definitely takes more skills to ride the same trails. Since I can think of only one 50" restricted trail out there, you can ride all the same trails with either machine. I can't say that I really prefer one over the other. Two totally different experiences.

·
Registered
765 Posts
All good points. I've only been to Moab twice, but can definitely see the wheelbase and width advantage being a big asset. I've watched RZR's go up obstacles with ease that I wouldn't attempt on a quad. I've never been in a situation on a side by side where I thought I was going to roll over, but I always felt that if I encountered that situation I would rather be on an atv so I could hopefully bail off and get clear of the machine. If you roll a side by side....its hold on and hope the roll cage saves you.

·
Super Moderator
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
All good points. I've only been to Moab twice, but can definitely see the wheelbase and width advantage being a big asset. I've watched RZR's go up obstacles with ease that I wouldn't attempt on a quad. I've never been in a situation on a side by side where I thought I was going to roll over, but I always felt that if I encountered that situation I would rather be on an atv so I could hopefully bail off and get clear of the machine. If you roll a side by side....its hold on and hope the roll cage saves you.
A couple of examples. The first two are from Where Eagles Dare. This was a downhill section. If you look close at the first picture, you can see how steep it really is where it drops over the edge in the center of the picture. As a bonus, you have to turn as soon as you break over the edge so you are pointed straight down. You DON'T want to be at an angle... :)
It's pretty damn steep where Jerry is at in the second picture, and then the bottom drops out. I think it's the steepest thing I've ever gone down, and no way would you ever climb it. The third is from Fins and Things. This is a steep little section I wouldn't ever attempt on my atv, and one of the rzr's had to make two tries at it. The General walked right up. The last is sitting at the 50/50 obstacle on The Pickle. 50/50 was actually easier on my atv.

Attachments

Reactions: Ransom Proctor

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nice ,real nice, definitely a bucket list ride.But 2100 miles 32 hours each way is a monster drive in itself. There used to be a company up in N Jersey that would ship a truckload of quads for a reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts