Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mobil 1 0w40 is very popular on this forum, but Mobil 1 5w50 is also available to me. My manual calls for 5w50, but as this machine will not be pushed hard, I'm not sure 5w50 is necessary. I believe 0w40 offers greater start-up protection at all temperatures. Perhaps the start-up protection offered by 0w40 exceeds the potential benefits of 5w50. I would appreciate your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Well, if you are not going to follow manufacturer's recommendations then it really does not matter. Do as you please and if there are any consequences you are stuck with them. Anyways, that's what I do, follow my own rules.

Reactions: Sprotsman

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5w-50 is the preferred oil. You can switch to 0w-40 in the winter for extreme cold
Based just on the manual recommendation, or on other additional information as well?

Answered your damn frickin duplicate post :mad:
Thanks, I read your post. Interesting info about the hydraulic press. That thread is not a duplicate, however, as I was asking about the performance characteristics of Amsoil Power Sports oil compared to Amsoil ATV/UTV oil, not just about the implications of viscosity choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems that Mobil 1 5w50 or Shell Rotella T6 offer the potential advantage of quieter operation and possible better heat dissipation, whereas Mobil 1 0w40 offers the potential benefit of less wear at startup. Is this a fair assessment? Any other benefits of 5w50?

One user mentioned that Mobil 1 may have sludge issues, but I haven't seen that elsewhere:
I've been using the Rotella now for 4 different quads with great success, the T6 5w40 diesel.
I know a bunch that were using the Mobile 1 and said that the bottom of the oil pan was full of sludge when they broke the engine apart. I know the Rotella doesn't break down like that.
Also, although this certainly doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, it seems that some people have had oil burning issues with Mobil 1, but it's not clear whether the 0w40 or 5w50 is more likely to have that problem:
Well after only running about 10 hours on the Mobil1 5W50 i have switched back to Mobil1 0W40. I have been keeping close eye on the dipstick level and it probably burnt up about a 1/5th of a quart. With the 0w40 at 50 hours i was Spot on and no loss what so ever! 0W40 from here on out!!!!
So I've had the Mobil ow40 in for just over 60 miles, And I've burned, Or at least think that where it went. Over half a quart. I've heard about this from a few people bit didn't think anything of it.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Sorry - I see so many duplicate posts I guess I didn't read the details - read one and responded - read the second and reacted thinking it was the same question.

Oil is not typically a real concern as related to performance (as in engine output) but if measuring performance between one grade and another as to HP produced, it is fractional at best.

As far as lubricity, again it is fractional - you will lose some performance until the engine reaches operating temperature, but it would take a Dyno run to measure the effect an oil has on an engines performance. For the average person, they cannot tell the difference between a $3/qt mineral and a $50/qt high performance synthetic oil.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
175 Posts
Polaris should add a drain plug washer in the oil change kit!
That’s funny, I’ve purchased 3 of the Polaris oil change kits, one of them came with a new drain plug gasket! I was like WTF is this! 😂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts