Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy all....

I'm switching from Polaris synthetic to the Mobil 1 synthetics. It seems by reading the oil threads, that the overall oil weight of choice for the 850 motor is 0w40. I noticed Mobil 1 makes a 5w50 also. Wouldn't this be closer to the 2w50 that Polaris recommends in the owners manual, rather than the 0w40? Any one running the 5w50?

Thanx, NoJoke

·
Registered
325 Posts
I looked up in the Mobil product guide the zinc and phosphorus content of both oils, they're the same, 1000 ppm zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorus. The 0w40 does meet some more stringent European specifications, but the 5w50 meets a handfull itself. I guess I'd run the 5w50 just because it's so close in viscosity to the PS-4. I like to believe the Polaris engineers had a reason to recommend a 50 weight oil.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I run the 5w-50 in mine,although it's been said on here that the 50 weight oil breaks down quicker than the 40.If your changing at 50 hours like most do,I doubt it's an issue.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
5w-50 is the Polaris spec. That's what I would use.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Agree on that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just did a 40 something hour change to 5w 50. Was difficult to locate locally.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx all.... I put in the Mobil 1 5w50. I change oil so often that I shouldn't be too concerned about the shearing. That weight of oil is more difficult to locate..... NAPA was the only one I've seen out of four other parts stores that had it..... and I see O'Reilly's has the Mobil 1 synthetics on sale for 5.99, they didn't have the 5w50 though.
I do run with the Mobil 1 oil filters.... on my old sold 2007 500 X2 and my newly acquired 2012 850 Touring LE. I'm too chicken to use the longer filter Mobil M110 on the 850.... even with skid plates, now it's the M108.
With the other oils I'm sticking to the Polaris fluids as in the AGL, Demand Drive Plus and Angle Drive. The price of these fluids are reasonable as compared to the Polaris motor oil synthetic. The Polaris PS4 Plus was 14.00 at my local dealer.....not enough bang for those kind of bucks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanx all.... I put in the Mobil 1 5w50. I change oil so often that I shouldn't be too concerned about the shearing. That weight of oil is more difficult to locate..... NAPA was the only one I've seen out of four other parts stores that had it..... and I see O'Reilly's has the Mobil 1 synthetics on sale for 5.99, they didn't have the 5w50 though.
I do run with the Mobil 1 oil filters.... on my old sold 2007 500 X2 and my newly acquired 2012 850 Touring LE. I'm too chicken to use the longer filter Mobil M110 on the 850.... even with skid plates, now it's the M108.
With the other oils I'm sticking to the Polaris fluids as in the AGL, Demand Drive Plus and Angle Drive. The price of these fluids are reasonable as compared to the Polaris motor oil synthetic. The Polaris PS4 Plus was 14.00 at my local dealer.....not enough bang for those kind of bucks.
I actually bought a Polaris tune up kit online with all fluids, plugs, oil, air and pre filter once I discovered the fluids and oil filter locally were hard to get and I just don't have the time to run around and piecemeal it all. I didn't realize that the washer wasn't in place after the oil change so had to quickly pull the oil plug and put it on and needed to top off the oil with more 5w 50 which is the PS4 Polaris oil. I called everywhere and nobody had even heard of it except for an orieleys a town away. They had it for $10 per quart and the container says for classic cars. The counter guy said only the owners of one particular newer Mustang were buying it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the castrol edge 5-50 for classic cars is a good oil ..the classic car version has a high zinc pack in it since they have no catalytic convertersand is also a HDEO oil....the added zinc is a plus to reduce cam wear 1300 ppm of zinc...but it has to be the one for classic cars..thier other 5-50 is different..less of a add pack...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the oil is 8.95 a quart here....there is a virgin oil analysis on bob is the oil guy...and from reading..Castrol advises not to use in new cars due to converters....it is designed for flat tappet engines to prevent cam wear...so the added anti wear additives...

·
Registered
157 Posts
i got some mobil 1 0-40 yesterday for my 04 sportsman 600, is this oil ok or should i get something different?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Kinda depends where you ride. If in warmer, southern climates 5-50 is better.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I ride in the Texas heat sometime and the 0W40 works just fine. For years POPO had nothing but 0W40 for all climates so you will be OK.

Ronnie

·
Registered
126 Posts
For the 04' 600, 0W40 was the recommended oil. I have the new 570 but I bought and just changed the oil. Used Mobil 0W40.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
i got some mobil 1 0-40 yesterday for my 04 sportsman 600, is this oil ok or should i get something different?
I tried 0W-40 this winter, engine had a greater noticeable amount of engine noise. Seemed to be valve train noise. I quickly changed the oil again, using 5W-50 now. I see not need to change from theta weight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts