Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit the bullet and made the switch to Mobil 1 ATF in the front gearbox as well as 5W20 motor oil in the tranny. Could not be happier with the results as I did a bit of testing yesterday. Nice and quiet transmission and the AWD engages quickly and smoothly.

Had some Amsoil 75/90 in the garage so I threw that in the rear differential and it seems happy as well.

Started backing up a steep slope until I started spinning. Switched to AWD and the front wheels engaged almost immediately and up I went.

Didn't change the ADC fluid but will use the ATF when I do. If it works in the gearbox it should work fine in the ADC.

The reason I switched from polaris fluids is I don't like mystery fluids. The real test will be next month at Windrock Tenn.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What kind of Moblil 1 ATF fluid? dextron, type F or what? I was going to switch as well but mine is still under warranty so i stuck to Polaris brand for now. I'd like to see an alternative to spending almost 100.00 for a total oil change.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of Moblil 1 ATF fluid? dextron, type F or what? I was going to switch as well but mine is still under warranty so i stuck to Polaris brand for now. I'd like to see an alternative to spending almost 100.00 for a total oil change.
Just off the shelf Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I thought there were different types of ATF for different makes and brands of vehicles (Chevy Dextron,Ford Type F, ect.) I guess not with the Mobil 1 brand. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the info. I thought there were different types of ATF for different makes and brands of vehicles (Chevy Dextron,Ford Type F, ect.) I guess not with the Mobil 1 brand. Thanks again
There are but Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is made for all models...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Keep us posted on how it works in the ADC. I am about ready to do a full fluids change and the thought of having to pay stealership prices for mystery fluids is not a happy thought. Mine is an 08 800 sportsman.
One question, was the Amsoil 75/90 full synthetic as well (sorry if that's a stupid question, never used any Amsoil products)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Can you explain why the 5W20 in the transmission instead of ATF there?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tranny is not a traditional tranny in the sense of a car or truck. Just a chain needing an oil bath. Sorry, not very technical explanation.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The tranny is not a traditional tranny in the sense of a car or truck. Just a chain needing an oil bath. Sorry, not very technical explanation.
That's why I use Chaincase lube in the tranny. ATF will work too. They both have anti-foaming additives to keep the chain from stirring the oil into meringue. That foamy stuff doesn't lube as well.

The XP transmission has more in common with a transfer case than a transmission. My 500 HO transmission is an odd hybrid of Transfer case and transaxle. They have reverse so they are a transmission.

The only chain drive transfer case I ever used motor oil in was the NP203 in my '78 W200 Power Wagon. The owners manual called for 30W motor oil. It was a lot quieter and smoother when I changed to Dexron III.

·
Registered
470 Posts
So, what's the consensus for XP transmission then? Mobil or Amsoil 5W20 (I am an Amsoil fan, like Mobil 1 too, have used plenty of it in the past) or ATF? I changed all fluids except transmission and ADC tonight and need to decide ASAP. I guess enough of you that I trust have had good luck with 5W20 option.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Every transfer case in truckers these days have chains. Not a single one uses engine oil for lube. All run ATF for lube. I would only run synthetic transmission fluid in mine, not engine oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using Amsoil for over 25 yrs in my Polaris snowmobiles, 4wheeler and boat motors and have never had any issues what so ever. A friend of mine was a dealer at the time and got me started and i never looked back. believe it or not i never had to change a bad plug, although I do change my plugs every other year. I'm sure there are other great lines out there but the important part is ones own satisfaction of the product he chooses.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
So, what's the consensus for XP transmission then? Mobil or Amsoil 5W20 (I am an Amsoil fan, like Mobil 1 too, have used plenty of it in the past) or ATF? I changed all fluids except transmission and ADC tonight and need to decide ASAP. I guess enough of you that I trust have had good luck with 5W20 option.
I am running plain 5W20 in mine. I don't think it really matters what brand you choose for the oil but if you like Amsoil go for it. I have over 10000 miles on both my ATV's using 5W20 from the first fluid change.

Ronnie

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks guys. I went ahead and made the jump to 5W20 for the transmission. My AMSOIL dealer was out of it so I went with the Mobil 1. Took it for a quick run last night and it is shifting quite easily. I'm sure this is going to be a good switch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did my engine oil with Mobil1 0W40, Did my transmission with Mobil1 5W20 (and yes it shift MUCH better).
I also used Mobil1 ATF in the ADC unit.

Interesting story. I have been following this thread to see if the Synthetic ATF would be an acceptable substitute for the ADC. I had decided that this was one fluid I was going to stay with Polaris. Well, I went the the dealer this morning to pick up a bottle of ACD fluid and the parts department looked at me like I had two heads. They never heard of it.

They checked their catalog and charts and it turns out that the ADC fluid is no longer available. Polaris has superseded the part number to use the front drive fluid in the ADC. Since I was planning to use the ATF in the front gear case, I went ahead and replaced my ADC fluid with the ATF.

When I started, the reservoir was empty, so I did have some bubbles coming out, and but the time the bleeders were running red with ATF, all that cleared pretty well. Test drove it and the ADC worked like a champ.

I'll keep the group updated if anything should change.

·
Registered
141 Posts
On a separate note, when I pulled the plug for the transmission, I noticed that the inside face of the plug looked ground down a little.
I was able to stick my finger up into the drain hole and I could feel the chain in the trans and it had a good bit of slack. Is this normal?
Anyone else ever notice the chain grinding or filing the top of the drain plug?
It made it a little difficult to get the plug back in, it kept wanting to cross thread. Is this something I need to be concerned about, or is the chain stretched too far?
This machine runs great, except its a little noisy, but from everything I've read this is normal.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You guys running 5w20 synthetic in the tranny? Or just regular ol' 5w20

And does anyone see anything wrong with 10-40 synthetic in the motor? I don't ride below 30 degrees ever, so 10 weight should be fine.. Would like other input though.

I think polaris specifies 2-50 cause the wide range of where people live, way down south where it's 100+ degrees! and way up north where it's -20 degrees. They make something universal.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts