Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a HMF Swamp XL exhaust for my 800 and it gave it a huge power boost but was just too loud. It was very deep and really screamed when I opened it up. I went back to the stock muffler but the power loss was so noticeable I was not satisfied.

I decided to cut open the stock muffler and see what I could do to open free up some flow without making a straight though shot and very loud. I cut both end caps off and ended up making the outlet on the rear like a normal exhaust. I gutted the the rear baffle out AND drilled five 3/8" holes in the remaining two baffles. The outlet is the same size pipe as the head pipe now. I actually got the bent section from an old harley head pipe. I trimmed it to shape and welded it in the rear end cap. Worked pretty well. I ground down all my welds on the can so you cant even tell it was ever apart.

In the end it was not nearly as loud as the HMF but it did bring back that power I felt with it. It gained enough power with this and my other mods that I had to put in 2g heavier clutch weights to keep it off the rev limiter. Any of you planning on modding your exhaust I think it works and sounds great. It gave it lots of power and sounds better but not nearly as loud as a straight through core like the Big gun, HMF, or Hot seat.

Heres a pic and vid. I think the vid makes it sound louder than what it is. Mods are 3.5 degree timing key, K&N filter with outerwears, opened up the factory snorkel, heavier clutch weights, and exhaust mod

http://youtu.be/EHbUmzoMDI4

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you have any pics while it was cut apart? I'd like to do something like that to my SP500.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt take any pics, I basically cut both ends off with a cut off wheel (be sure to mark the inlet side so your springs and pipe match up when you weld it back together), I cut everything out of the rear part of the muffler including the bottom outlet. When done you will only have the first baffle plate with the fan shaped passages and then the rear baffle with single hole in the middle. Nothing else. I then drilled the holes evenly around both of those plates. I drilled them so they do not line up so nothing is straight through. So there is two baffle plates in the first half of the muffler and the second half is basically and empty can with the packing around the outside. Be sure to leave the outer ring of any baffle you cut out. This will help hold the packing in place.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Great post!!

I have been pondering this for some time!!

CW

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the 800s are so rich from the factory its ridiculous. A good flowing exhaust wakes them up so much. It did more for this 800 than any other ATV Ive put exhaust on and Ive had so many I cant even remember them all without taking some time to think lol. If you just do a filter and exhaust on an 800 you do not need a fuel controller.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ok so I just removed my stocker on my 2011 and I can see the fan shaped baffle. Would drilling the holes around this help any without doing any other mods?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thomas j -- first a compliment on the welds they look great . i to did this mod along with a K&N and although my welds don't even come close to being as clean as yours it really woke up the 800 .. thanks for the post and instruction i am loving the power gain i achieved with this inexpensive mod .

·
Registered
309 Posts
Would this work on the Sportsman 500 HO? Anybody tried it yet? The welds on your mod are excellent, even better than some factory welds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i am trying today

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed, take some detailed pictures if you get the chance! I'd love to try this on my 800! I think I could do it with Thomasj's instructions (awesome thread by the way!), but I would still like to see what's inside there before I go to hacking it up, lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
LOL best part is i had been watching that youtube vid wondering what muffler he had
then i found this thread and was same guy perfect and agreed good thread
love to see some pics if possible

·
Registered
56 Posts
well, i had a local welder cut the muffler end cap off and took a look, i honestly think if you have all of the tools at home where u can do the work yourself it may be worth doing. But unfortunatly they told me to do the work that i wanted to do, which is remove last baffle and drill the holes in the other 2 and reroute the exhaust exit. wld have been about 150-200 dollars. i got second opinion from another shop and they told me about 200. I decided to hold off. i got the cap welding back on, and had a snorkel made for it! i just think if you can do it yourself this would be worth it. not if your paying tho.:nutkick:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I cut mine just ahead of the stock turndown and removed the entire baffle. It's only spot welded in there so it comes out easy. I only had to weld one radius of the can that way. I then cut the center of the end cap and welded a turn down pipe I got from the local auto parts place. The sound is amazing, and the low end boost is incredible. It does hit the rev limmiter, but will wheelie really eazily now (need clutch kit)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am interested in seeing someone with a 2001-2003 with this mod some of the sports shops i have talked to said they dont see a point in the after market exhaust for my bike. They said result are not really noticable just louder. So i was thinking of making this mod. Anyones option?

·
Registered
41 Posts
just picked up a 2007 sportsman 800 deluxe. has the dual mufflers. would this work on mine or does it flow good enough with the duals?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts