Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Guru looks to be built like a tank but according to what I'm reading on here, there's about a 2 month wait to get one. Hunting seasons are starting up and I would like to get something installed to protect the black molded plastics on the front from getting scarred up on saplings. I've already got a couple of scuffs on it from this weekend.

What about the Moose bumpers? It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like they only bolt in 4 locations vs 6 with the Guru. Is that correct?

Also, what effect do the headlight protector bars have on your light output?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I've got moose front and rear on my 850. I've plowed over some big piles of crap in the swamps and clipped some big trees. No damage and the finish is holding up great too. Bars don't affect headlights at all. I would put them on again without question. I wouldn't use it to pull anything with though as the top two mounts go into the aluminum framework on the front of the atv and are held on by 1/4-20 bolts. I'd assume the same on the guru ones but haven't seen one in person.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I like the looks of the moose a d I am VERY impressed with the quality of the GURU bumpers on my fathers 550. The guy knows his stuff they fit flawlessly. His attention to detail and quality of his welds says alot to me. Little things like being sure to turn all steel seams down and out of sight and grinding all boogers off and rounding sharp edges. It is small things but speaks volumes to me.

Sounds like you will not go wrong with either!

CW

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely want a full height bumper over the Polaris offerings. Those do well to protect your radiator and headlights but do absolutely nothing for protection from right above the winch area down.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The Moose look good, I thought about those before I got my Pure Popo's. Another brand to look at is the Bison bumpers!! Looks like an even match for the Guru bumper!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Bison bumper looks like it weighs 100 pounds. :biglaugh: Definitely beefy. Probably a lot more beefy than anything I need.

I'm sort of liking the way that the Moose bumper curls around the fenders a bit. Looks like they would deflect just a little more brush than the Guru because of that.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
both look nice, im waiting for my Cobra Front as we speak (Placed Order Aug 5th) hoping to have it before my next trip on Sep, 26th.

either of these option should wokr out fine, its all in what you like for a look IMO at that point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bison bumpers

The Moose look good, I thought about those before I got my Pure Popo's. Another brand to look at is the Bison bumpers!! Looks like an even match for the Guru bumper!!
I have the Bison Trail front and rear and they ARE beefy, nicely welded, durably coated, and excellently fitted.

Very satisfied with the purchase and they are much more solid than the Deluxe OEM bumpers I put on my 550XP for about the same price.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a Moose front bumper last night. We'll see how it fits and how the install goes once it gets here.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm soaked in sweat but the Moose bumper is installed. I tried to cheat the instructions and install without removing the front plastic but only made it so far before deciding that I was going to have to do it anyway.

Perfect fit and a well made unit. I believe that it will serve my purposes very well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm soaked in sweat but the Moose bumper is installed. I tried to cheat the instructions and install without removing the front plastic but only made it so far before deciding that I was going to have to do it anyway.

Perfect fit and a well made unit. I believe that it will serve my purposes very well.
Tomahawk, :postpic:

Kidding, but I would like to see a couple of pictures.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My thoughts exactly...... don't leave us hangin' dude!

:postpic:

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Keep your eyes open on our site. We will be introducing a better designed bumper then what we have sold prior. Our new Viking line of bumpers will offer better protection for the corner of the headlights as well as in the radiator area. It will also work with the American Eagle front mount and Warn front mount plows. We will offer 2 versions for the 550/850 and the wait will be estimated at 2 weeks from order to delivery. The pricing will be about the same as prior. Best of all our all new bumper is made 100% here in America!

Here is a spy pic. Keep it quiet!! :fing02:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds great, Thor. I just couldn't wait until November for a brush guard with hunting seasons already open. Looking forward to the not so secret pics. LOL

I couldn't get a good picture of mine in the garage last night so I took some this morning for you guys to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds great, Thor. I just couldn't wait until November for a brush guard with hunting seasons already open. Looking forward to the not so secret pics. LOL

I couldn't get a good picture of mine in the garage last night so I took some this morning for you guys to see.
Thanks for the pictures.
Looks good Tomahawk!

Do the Headlight grills have any effect on the lights at night?

P.S.

I noticed the BONE in the garage. Good stuff!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The only hard part about the install is that you need some small hands and arms to get those 2 nuts started at the bottom side of the radiator... which I don't have. :rotflmao:

There were a few curse words uttered at those 2 while sweat was dripping from the end of my nose.

For anyone looking in the future... the hardware that comes with most all of the aftermarket bumpers is bright zinc plated and looks out of place with everything else being black. A can of Plasti Dip and a toothpick after install makes them look like they should, though. ;)

If you're already paying that kind of $ for a brush guard, the manufacturers should spend the extra dollar and supply black rust proof hardware. Automotive OEM's would laugh at me if I told them that their parts would be shipped with zinc chromate (these shiny silver ones that will rust) instead of zinc phosphate (the black ones that stand up to most anything you can throw at them). I understand the need to make every nickel you can but help your customers out, manufacturers.

ETA: I didn't even think about turning on the headlights last night. I asked that same question and someone assured me that they have no impact on the light output.

Thanks for the comment on the bone. That's where I keep my scrubs, the good stuff is in the house. The boar head also hangs in the garage because my wife threatened divorce if it snuck it's way into the house when it showed up. LOL

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good information...Give us an update when you have a chance to try the headlights out!

It sounds like you got yours trained better than mine...She won't let me hang them anywhere but my hunting room, or the garage.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts