Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my biggest problems were past me when I found the cause of the antifreeze leaking into the cylinder. WRONG
The cylinder walls were severly scratched and the piston was cracked
So I have had the cylinder bored and honed and bought a new piston.
I have three questions
1. There is some sludge in the crank case from oil/antifreeze mix what can I use to flush it out? Kerosene,mineral spirits?
2.i drained the counterbalance oil and was 80% coolant
Does that just mean I need new oil and water seals?
3.How hard is it to pull waterpump on this bike? Ive done them before but I am partially stumped
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 1995 400L I'm having trouble finding the right piston. Area dealer, said they need to order one, glanced at his computer monitor and saw he was on EBAY. So I've check around, ordered a couple of them and all the skirting needs to be milled 3/4 of an inch or the skirting smashes into the crankcase. I removed the cylinder jug, assembled the piston pin and bearing on the rod and cranked the motor till the piston skirting hit the crankcase. It hit evenly on the crankcase with the piston rod about 4 degrees from bottom dead center.
ANY IDEAS

·
Registered
271 Posts
The diagram I'm looking at shows only oversize pistons from dealer, 3084735 is 0.010" or .25mm and 3084736 is 0.020" or .50mm. Not showing stock bore size replacement piston....? hmmm... My Haynes manual says stock bore is 3.270 inches. These are special ported pistons.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
With coolant in the counterbalance you're looking at some seals to do too I think. Could be jus that coolant sat in the case long enough to weep past the seals and it will be fine once you put it back together. Flush the case out with gas, and then spray fogging oil in there to coat all the bearings right away or they will start to rust. Hopefully there's not bearing damage already from the coolant washing the bearings clean of lubricant.

These guys have lots of parts for these machines. It's where I go when I need to rebuild one. https://www.denniskirk.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts