Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I know this has somewhat been covered that people use Mobil 1 0W40 in their 4x4 ATV and it works well and is safe.

My question is if would be good to use in my 2007 Predator 500? Getting ready to do an oil change and picked up some Mobil 1 0W40 Synthetic Oil. Since this is a high revving performance ATV, wondering if it safe to use or not.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Hi All,
I know this has somewhat been covered that people use Mobil 1 0W40 in their 4x4 ATV and it works well and is safe.

My question is if would be good to use in my 2007 Predator 500? Getting ready to do an oil change and picked up some Mobil 1 0W40 Synthetic Oil. Since this is a high revving performance ATV, wondering if it safe to use or not.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
What do you think/feel might be a better oil than the Mobile1? I like AmsOil, myself. The filter is a larger consideration, in my opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I use a K&N oil filter for my LTZ440 and a HiFlo for my Predator 500.

I could have picked up the Rotella 5w40 also, but I thought the 0w40 would work also. Any difference between the two?

Amsoil is a little rich for my blood. I have heard about success stories with Mobil's 0w40 and Rotella 5w40 in 4x4 utilities, but haven't much on the high revving machines.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
polaris's are picky. the 5w40 is going to be thicker when cold and first starting, and there is the chance it will blow through the airbox if it is too thick. better to stick with a 0w40

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
polaris's are picky. the 5w40 is going to be thicker when cold and first starting, and there is the chance it will blow through the airbox if it is too thick. better to stick with a 0w40

All year round??
yes, i would stick with 0w40 all year round, especially in the winter. you could probably get away with a 5w40 in the hotter summer months though

·
Registered
12 Posts

All year round??
yes, i would stick with 0w40 all year round, especially in the winter. you could probably get away with a 5w40 in the hotter summer months though
Yup! I would stick with it year round. The 5W isnt going to help any in the summer and 0W will be better in the winter.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oil weight (0w-40 for example), or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high).

Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating for winter grade (example: 5W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30).

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils e.g. 0W-40, 5W-40. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil.

A 0W-40, 5W-40 and a 10W-40 will all have the same viscosity at 210 degrees, typical operating temp of internal combustion engines. But the 5W and 10W will flow slower at engine start up than a 0W oil will. There is no disadvantage to using a 0W-40 but there can be with a 5W-40 and 10W-40 the colder the temp is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well crap, I made a mistake after changing the oil. I looked at the jug again and it is Mobil 1 0W30, not the 0W40. Do I need to dump the oil and replace it, or will this oil be fine until the next oil change.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
this will be fine until you change again. had you put in a 10w40 i would have said dump it now, but a 0w30 will get you through

as a matter of fact at our dealership, we havent found many aftermarket sources for a 0w40 synethic oil, but we can find a 0w30 pretty easily, so we stock 0w30 oil at the shop incase we get completlely sold out of the PS4+ oil, we still have the 0w-30 that can be used for the guys who cant wait for more PS4+ to come in

·
Registered
33 Posts
you don't want to run car oil in your manual clutch atv it has to many friction modifiers and detergents for the clutch. Mobil 0w-30 or anything else that don't say diesel on the bottle is not good for your quad. you hear lots of people running Rotlea because its cheap and works in sport quads. it only comes in 5w-40 though.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
fatkidracer speaks the truth, i didnt even notice you had a sport quad. was the oil you put in motorcycle/atv specific or was it car grade?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts