Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... this might sound stupid, but if your looking at the motor from the left side.. Which way does the motor rotate when it's running? 07 Outlaw 525

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's happening is, my starter gear is free spinning clockwise. If I spin the gears in the opposite direction the starter clutch engages and the motor turns over. If counter clockwise is correct, why would my starter be spinning backwards out of the blue?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Did it work proper when in the Outlaw? Have you removed it and then got this question?

Something sounds funky.......maybe " somehow " the polarity to the starter got reversed ?

You could pull the starter out, then hook jumper cables to a battery and touch the starter's terminals then see which way it spins. It may spark some but it's ok.

If needed, new outlaw starters are reasonable off of ebay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what the shop said where it's at.. "Polarity reversed" Didn't really make any sense cause it happened between starts while I was out riding. I only questioned the shop cause I'm not convinced they know what they're doing after finding the flywheel nut hanging on by a thread after they had been in there only a couple hours (riding hours) prior.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It won't be the starter motor if you reverse the centre case of the starter it will turn backwards but your starter clutch will just freewheel.
I had this with a trials bike years ago and it was the woodruff key had sheared that locates the flywheel on the crank so the timing moved and it actually ran backwards!!! it was a 2 stroke montesa trials bike.. it had 6 reverse gears, I knocked it into gear and the bars hit me in the stomach!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's what the shop said where it's at.. "Polarity reversed" Didn't really make any sense cause it happened between starts while I was out riding. I only questioned the shop cause I'm not convinced they know what they're doing after finding the flywheel nut hanging on by a thread after they had been in there only a couple hours (riding hours) prior.
Have you found out whats wrong with it??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts