Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up an 88 trailboss 2x4 with a seized motor. it was free so i cant complain. my main goal was is to try to swap in a 250 2 stroke motor out of a cr yz etc... how difficult can it be? besides welding in new motor mounts. ive never done a motor swap before on a 4 wheeler, car yes plenty of times but not a 4 wheeler. any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
if you have the experience i cant imangine it would be too difficult. fab up some custom motor mounts and custom exhaust and stuff, but hell sounds like a fun project. i would do it if i were you, what do you have to loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i really dont think it would be hard to do, just time consuming. i found a wrecked 2000 yz250 on craigslist for 500 bucks tonight. thinking about picking that up and start the project. i pulled the motor out yesterday and painted the frame today. the hardest part is figuring out how to run a back brake. the 88 trailboss has the brake on the tranny instead of the axle.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
for less than $500 you'd be able to find a good matching motor on e-bay .
i always thought it would be cool to put a snowmobile motor in one of those but how's the belt going to line up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well the output on the yz motor is on the oposate side as the polaris is it drives on the lhs and the polaris lines up on the rhs you could get one of the center sections from a 4X4 that is the intermeadiate carrier for the chain to the front end that would cross it over to the rhs for the drive sproket you may be able to set up a caliper and disk on the back idl bout that but there is enough room in the bike for a 2000cc streetbike motor lol i put a 99 sprotsman 500 motor in an 87 250 trailboss never got to ride it tho couldnt get spark but its in there took bout 2days of fabrication and welding to get it but i got it lol thats my input.

Nikkih

1 - 5 of 5 Posts