Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made it 5 seconds, then it locked up. But that's enough to tell you your tensioner and/or cam chain need to be replaced.
I don't know what you mean by made it 5sec but when I got the quad it was ticking pretty bad, just trying to figure out what it is before I ride it. I'm pretty sure it needs a timing chain but before I go ahead and order it I just want to make sure that's what I need. But from the looks of it it looks pretty worn.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The video only played for 5 seconds then sat buffering till I quit waiting, but that was enough to know the problem when you grabbed the chain and moved it up and down. No way you should be able to move it at all by hand if it's tight like it should be. Plan on a chain, tensioner, clutch cover gasket, and a valve adjustment. $200 or so and you should be back in business. That is definitely the source of the ticking.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It certainly can, but it's not that common unless ridden for a long time with a bad chain, but usually they will jump time before they wear a gear that much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I'm gona order a cam chain when I get paid and does anyone know of a how to thread for setting the timing on these motors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts