Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new to the forum. I need some info on why a 2004 sportsman 400 will not 4 wheel in reverse but will in forward

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you hold the yellow over ride button while in reverse?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
saftey feature. the machine will flip over really easy if you have the handlebars turned all the way left or right and in 4 wheel drive in reverse. as slider said, if you press and hold the yellow override button on the left hand side it should engage 4 wheel drive in reverse for as long as you hold down the button. trust me, its a good thing it does that!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
try to bypass the switch and see if it engages. if it does then its a bad switch . I would also recomend seeing if theres a fuse or relay for the overide switch ,follow the line see were it goes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
THIS SWITCH IS WORKING AND I HAVE CURRENT GOING TO THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL .Looks LIKE I MAY HAVE TROUBLE IN THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL ELECTROMAGNET OR PLATE. Not SURE YET.I FINALLY GOT A MANUAL FOR THIS ATV.My ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT IT HAS ALL WHEEL DRIVE IN FORWARD GEAR BUT NOT IN Reverse. The MODE SWITCH WORKS AS CURRENT IS GOING TO THE DIFFERENTIAL. Will LET YOU KNOW WHEN I FIND THE PROBLEM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts