Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else notice this? I owned a 2012 Sportsman 850 HO touring previously. I just bought a 2013 Scrambler 850 non EPS. One of the few things I noticed is that the Scrambler does not seem to have the torque off idle the Sportsman had. It does accelerate harder most especially after 30 mph. There is a weight difference, but to me the power was moved up in the rpm band. I just checked the ECU number for both machines. They are the same number. My assumption is the higher flowing muffler did this. The Sportsman XPs do not have the shield over the oil filter like the Scrambler has. If you have compared both Sportsman 850 HO and your Scram, what do you think?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
My bet is clutching... its all in the CVT.

CW

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
A real clutch expert will chime in I'm sure, but I think it would be in the weights. The clutches are pretty much the same on all polaris atva

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk now Free

·
Registered
222 Posts
parts numbers seem the same for clutching...

but I have tried the sportsman and the scrambler, and I confirm it does not feel the same, scrambler clutching feel more aggresive and let the engine rev higher

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yup, the major parts are the same for a wide range of machines but VAST changes can be made with springs and weights. MUCH more than you could know unless you have seen it.

Sure the scrambler got a different exhaust but even Polaris acknowledges it was mostly for exhaust note.

Why do you think so many others such as my self proclaim clutch kits for those looking for a performance improvement? I ain't just blowing up you skirt!! Read and learn knowledge is power. ;)

CW

CW

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The clutching and cdi are the same between both models. The performance difference is either in the exhaust or your head. The shocks on the scrambler may have something to do with how it plants the power compared to the sportsman. It probably hooks up better and makes the secondary shift a little faster bogging down the bottom end power. There's a fix for that. A clutch kit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did anyone else notice this? I owned a 2012 Sportsman 850 HO touring previously. I just bought a 2013 Scrambler 850 non EPS. One of the few things I noticed is that the Scrambler does not seem to have the torque off idle the Sportsman had. It does accelerate harder most especially after 30 mph. There is a weight difference, but to me the power was moved up in the rpm band. I just checked the ECU number for both machines. They are the same number. My assumption is the higher flowing muffler did this. The Sportsman XPs do not have the shield over the oil filter like the Scrambler has. If you have compared both Sportsman 850 HO and your Scram, what do you think?
There is indeed torque lost in a free flowing exhaust, but I have no idea if that is what you are feeling in this case. BTW , just beacause an ECU has the same part number does not mean it has the same tune in it.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
There is indeed torque lost in a free flowing exhaust, but I have no idea if that is what you are feeling in this case. BTW , just beacause an ECU has the same part number does not mean it has the same tune in it.
That's exactly what it means. Same part #, same tune.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's exactly what it means. Same part #, same tune.
O.K., with cars you buy a new ECU but then the dealer flashes to the model. I guess the exhaust is not enough to make a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts