Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb obvious question but what is the "plug" in my muffler on my 2013 500HO sportsman? My 1999 335 has the same thing. I would assume its some sort of a water drain incase you swamp it?...Thanks in advance

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's to drain the water out if u sink your quad ..no dumb questions only dumb answers also if you look in the book that came with it you will fined it explains where all the other drain plugs are located.

if im on this fourm i must be at work. if not id be having way more fun out doors

·
Registered
422 Posts
For carbon build up inside muffler. Take it out and give the quad a few revs to clean out

·
Registered
422 Posts
This......

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
^^^^^^^What he said!^^^^^^^

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I admit I have been lazy on reading the manual lately. But 12 hours shifts have just worn me out . I'm close to the first oil change and will be into it in more depth. Christmas, cold weather has kinda put my ATV on the back burner for now. It's only got 20 hours on it
It's to drain the water out if u sink your quad ..no dumb questions only dumb answers also if you look in the book that came with it you will fined it explains where all the other drain plugs are located.

if im on this fourm i must be at work. if not id be having way more fun out doors

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yea I hear ya there I also work 12 hr nights and have way to much snow to be on my wheeler on off days I don't think I hit 15hrs yet on my 2013 500 ho. But should be there soon with the ice fishing season approaching fast.

·
11,142 Posts
It's only there to satisfy the idiots at the EPA or Forrest Service or some such. It's supposed to be to clean carbon out of the silencer but I've never seen anything come out of one. Don't bother and forget about it.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
This......
That's funny. Someone asked that same question some time back, and my answer was that it was the spark arrestor plug. I got lambasted for that answer, with everyone saying there was no spark arrestor on these machines. :hmmm: :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
This......
That's funny. Someone asked that same question some time back, and my answer was that it was a spark arrestor. I got lambasted for that answer, with everyone saying there was no spark arrestor on these machines. :hmmm: :)
Ignorance is bliss Bob...and I'm not talking about you!

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's stamped into the side of the muffler "USFS APPROVED SPARK ARRESTOR". And that's on mostly every muffler that has one, not jus Polaris. Not sure how people can miss that lol

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think any manufacturer has to put a USFS spark arrestor on a machine sold in the USA.

Aftermarket exhaust makers must do this too, but they can get around it by stating that "This system is for Closed course use only".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts