Polaris ATV Forum banner

Muffler spring removal 13 sportsman 500 HO

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Ctd2001 
#1 ·
Looking for any tips or tricks to removing these springs. Got my new slip on exhaust today and went to put it on tonight but can get those springs to budge. I made a tool to hook on to the spring but can't get any leverage to push/pull because they are mounted side ways. Didn't feel like tearing half of the machine apart because I'm taking it hunting tomorrow and didn't need something to go wrong. Would loosening the two mounting bolts first relieve a bit of tension so what ever force I can apply would be enough to get them off? Thanks for the help

#2 ·
I used a chain saw file that I bent a hook into it and a vise grip to hold the file as I pulled toward the front in a straight line via the side panel after I removed it. The are fairly tough to pull get a good grip and wear gloves cause if you slip it hurts.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I thought I might have to remove the side pannel to get a better angle on the springs. Looks like it will have to wait till the weekend.

#5 ·
They are a pain, have removed and installed springs numerous times on a sled, but these are giving me problems

#11 ·
I posted it before, I think in the modded exhaust, but I knocked myself out putting my springs on. Hand slipped, hit myself right in the nose, opened my eyes staring at the ceiling. I was ready to take sledgehammer to the machine for about 5 minutes until the feeling in my face returned.

#12 ·
Sorry, but that's funny right there lol. Don't worry, I had my own mishap... Wrench slipped and split my eye brow wide open... 6 stitches and a day later I still manted to burn my f*ckin jeep right where it sat lol.

#14 ·
Thanks for the tips, finally got it on, those springs are a PIA. Gonna order one of the tools cause I believe the right tool for the job eliminates a lot of causing lol. Not sure how long I will keep it on there because it is loud, more then I anticipated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.