Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did alot of research on this forum before pulling the trigger on new tires, so I wanted to give my review on the Pitbull Growler uber xor tires. I purchased 26.5 x 9 x 12 fronts and 26.5 x 11 x 12 rears.
I must say these tires look awesome! With the 1" tall treads they grip the trails extremely good and in the mud they clean out very well, better than I expected! My riding buddies now stay even further back now that my tires throw rocks at them even 30 yards back!
My only complaint is at only 150 miles on these tires, the rears have chunks of rubber missing on the treads and they are wearing much quicker than I had expected. I attached a few picts for you to see. I am guilty of riding on pavement for about 8 of those miles... I am not sure why Pitbull decided to put deep cut lines at the top of the treads, they seem to be 1/4" deep and have made the first 1/4" of these tires extremely weak and prone to ripping off in chunks... I also attached a video going through a mud hole in GA.
IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have about 800 miles on my Rockers. I too have some rubber missing on my rears. I attribute that to my heavy thumb and rocks. One of the things I like about the rockers over the growlers is they are non directional, I can swap the tires to the other side and start wearing out the other side of the lug.

Pitbull tires are awesome.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Did either of you guys notice any drifting/squirrelly feeling at speed ? Any bump bump bump on hard pack while going slow or fast ?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I feel a lot more confident at higher speeds with my rockers than stock tires. That being said, anything over 40mph I'm in my 4runner. I rarely go that fast.
They ride smooth at slow and faster speeds. They are an awesome tire.

I did a job and volunteered my 4wheeler under the premise that after the job the profits where going to buy me new tires. So, I bought the most expensive tires I could. If i had to buy them myself, I'd most likely go a different/cheaper route. After getting them mounted on my stock rims, the bill was over $700. That's insane for a tire that won;t last over 5000 miles. I'll be looking real close at the original bighorns when I need new tire.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Their prices seem to be coming down quite a bit. Discount Tire has them cheap right now.

Thanks Hawk. Like you, others say really good things about Pitbull tires.

·
Registered
772 Posts
how do you think they would do If never rode on pavement? and very little rocks? Like mostly woods and swamp?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a video going through GA mud:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't think mine will last, If I did it again I would try to find a tire that does not wear so quick...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Their prices seem to be coming down quite a bit. Discount Tire has them cheap right now.

Thanks Hawk. Like you, others say really good things about Pitbull tires.
Maybe I did not see a coupon code but I just looked at DT. The 26.5's are about $80 more than I paid for a set of 4, just under $700. I bought mine through DT too. Ouch!

·
Registered
679 Posts
how do you think they would do If never rode on pavement? and very little rocks? Like mostly woods and swamp?
Very rarely do I drive on pavement, but the Rocky Mountains are well...rocky! Sounds like JohnnyHP rides woods and swamps. Does not seem like he thinks they will last.

Again, awesome tires. I've been very impressed what they take me through. It drives my friends crazy when I look over at them and tell them I'm still in 2WD!

·
Registered
190 Posts
How much do the growlers weigh? Does anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
My Rockers seem to be wearing well. I too am missing a couple of chunks from a couple of lugs. Not horribly concerned about it. The rears definitely are wearing faster than the fronts. My fault. If I could leave it in 4x4 more and not steer with the rear so much, they would wear much longer. I have around 1200 miles on mine, and just under 1" on the lug depth on the rears. I will probably go back to Bighorns when I buy tires again. Just hard to justify that kind of money when BH's work nearly as well, plus I want to go to 28's on my next set to try to make up for having to run 14" wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How much do the growlers weigh? Does anyone know?
They come in 6 ply and 8 ply. 8 ply is called Uber.

Click the Pitbull logo:

MudInMyBlood Forums Tire Weight Chart

Here's another link for comparison:

http://pitbulltires.com/downloads/PITBULL_ATVUTV_SPEC_FINAL.pdf
So my question for the day is-why do the 27.5x11x14 show around 2.5lb lighter than the 26.5x11x14. typo I would assume? I would gladly go up a size if it were lighter but I don't believe that. The 9" show almost 2lb heavier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts