Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2000 scrambler 4wd doesnt kick in until it warms up,,,ive wiggled all the wires,,,cant seem to figure it out,,,little red light doesnt come on and 4wd wont work,,,then eventually it comes on...............thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i might of got a clue

on the transmission where the plug is i tapped with hammer on housing...now the light stays on and 4wd works.........but i dont know why........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there anybody out there

yes........bad connection or something........i have been plugging and unplugging everything, plug to tranny, plug to switch, im always doing some little thing and the 4wd light comes on and i think i have discovered the prob. only to have it not work next time. i need to start doing some real testing i guess. i was hoping that it was some typical problem with this model. thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
MY 4wd stopped working this morning. its really cold this morning, but no excuse. The machine just wont turn the front wheels. Think the ECU is messed as the reverse rev limiter is also not working. I can rev it right out in reverse. I was spinning the wheels in reverse faster and faster while holding the reverse override button all of a sudden it engaged the front wheels for a second and threw me backward. think just the right front engaged, but not sure. Really aggravating...

I am new to this fourm, but am not new to riding or working on quads. anyone have this issue before? maybe a good time to buy an upgraded ECU?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow....i been busy

hey i cant say i understand the whole ecu connection to the 4wd prob..........i know ive traced my prob until im about to unplug the 4wd wires and power up my own switch..............on your wild backward 4wd kicking in...............i dont think these machines always turn both wheels because the front diff. is not posi..................................my itermitten 4wd left me hanging the other day........in the creek exhaust sputtering barely above water for 15 mins while i hand winched it out with come along.......then it didnt want to go forward...belt wet. all in the name of fun.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sounds like the transmission Neutral safety switch is not working right. The power to the 4x4 switch runs through the N safety switch first then to the 4x4 switch. This would explain why you tapped on the shifter housing and it started working. I had to bypass my N switch altogether. If you do your N light (if your model has one) will not work when in N.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts